Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smith sunglasses and Christmas marital discord

Smith Optics replied very promptly and recommended using a post-it note to cover part of the lens, similar to Jbird's suggestion. The test showed a dramatic density difference between the covered and uncovered part of the lens, so I am very happy with my Smith sunglasses.

Interesting... Operator error and reverse-placebo effect strikes again!

Quick question to put in your back pocket for when you're out on the water next time: I've heard that the PC Polar lenses have "less polarization" to allow for the less tinted phase. Can you compare back to back with your old full polar glasses at high and bright conditions to compare glare cutting capability? I may get my next prescrip polaroids made with a similar lense (Drivewear) depending on what you find out.

Thanks!

_SHig

I actually think I see a difference between the two photos - the second looks lighter to me

Shigpspeed,
    I find the polarization function of these Smiths to be VERY good. I took them right down to my pond Christmas morning and could see underwater structure better than with my non-photochromic polarized sunglasses. I tried it again just the other day when the sun peaked through the fog for a few minutes and the glare-cutting capability was impressive. Furthermore, the general clarity of the glass lenses is much better than any other sunglasses I have had, but this is the first time I've ever owned a pair that cost more than $30 (In fact, I'm so happy with them that I'm a bit nervous about wearing them outside the house for fear of losing them.)
    Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt P View Post
    Shigpspeed,
    I find the polarization function of these Smiths to be VERY good. I took them right down to my pond Christmas morning and could see underwater structure better than with my non-photochromic polarized sunglasses. I tried it again just the other day when the sun peaked through the fog for a few minutes and the glare-cutting capability was impressive. Furthermore, the general clarity of the glass lenses is much better than any other sunglasses I have had, but this is the first time I've ever owned a pair that cost more than $30 (In fact, I'm so happy with them that I'm a bit nervous about wearing them outside the house for fear of losing them.)
    Kurt
    Cool! I'll have to see if my insurance will cover the Rx ones.

Thanks,

_SHig

i have returned 3 pairs of smiths because the coating on the lens bubbles. i hate the things...they keep sending me new glasses so i keep using them. The customer service person i talked to said "they know it is a problem and were working on it."

I have had two pair of Smiths and no bubbling on either pair. The only reason I replaced the first pair is that I scratched the plastic lenses really bad through carelessness. That's one reason I got glass lenses in the second pair.

Try Habers and you won't be disappointed. Use affinity code fisheye for the best deals.

I'm not disappointed in my Smiths.

I have those exact same glasses. They do change, but very little. Mine came with a sticker on the lens, if you leave the sticker on and put them in the sun you can see a slight change. When looking through the lens the change wasn't noticeable at all.