Thread: New short line trend in Spey/two handed world

Default New short line trend in Spey/two handed world

Another serious problem we are seeing is that many have the wrong lines on their two handed rods.

Sometimes it can be the weight of the line itself but mostly it is the length being just too long for a beginner.

There is a rapidly changing trend to shorter belly lines right now that make it so much easier to get started.

These new short Skagit and short Scandi lines are so easy to cast.

Airflo, SA, Rio and Beulah all have short belly lines now.

A few year ago people where started out with the mid-belly Spey lines like the Rio WindCutter and the Airflo Delta with around 50 foot heads. For the new comer these lines are just too long and make it more difficult to get going.

Today these new short belly lines are around 30 feet, give or take. They make getting started much easier.

Here at our shop we are promoting these shorter lines with guidance from people like Mike McCune, Scott O'Donnell and Ed Ward of Speywater Guide Service. John and Amy Hazel of Deschutes Angler have been in the forefront of this new short belly trend as well.

An analogy would be the trend to shorter snow skis some years back making the sport more accessible for many.

After you get going in two handed casting on these shorter lines you can always move up to the mid-length and longer Spey lines.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene View Post
    Another serious problem we are seeing is that many have the wrong lines on their two handed rods.

Sometimes it can be the weight of the line itself but mostly it is the length being just too long for a beginner.

There is a rapidly changing trend to shorter belly lines right now that make it so much easier to get started.

These new short Skagit and short Scandi lines are so easy to cast.

Airflo, SA, Rio and Beulah all have short belly lines now.

A few year ago people where started out with the mid-belly Spey lines like the Rio WindCutter and the Airflo Delta with around 50 foot heads. For the new comer these lines are just too long and make it more difficult to get going.

Today these new short belly lines are around 30 feet, give or take. They make getting started much easier.

Here at our shop we are promoting these shorter lines with guidance from people like Mike McCune, Scott O'Donnell and Ed Ward of Speywater Guide Service. John and Amy Hazel of Deschutes Angler have been in the forefront of this new short belly trend as well.

An analogy would be the trend to shorter snow skis some years back making the sport more accessible for many.

After you get going in two handed casting on these shorter lines you can always move up to the mid-length and longer Spey lines.

Bill,

I'm just starting to dip into the world of two-handers. It reminds me of when I first started fly fishing.

So many things are different.

This is a total Rookie question, but

What is the difference between a mid belly and a short belly? I understand the concept of the head being shorter, but what makes the line easier to use? Shootablity?

Head lengths run from 20' to 100' so I guess it's just easier to get those shorter ones going?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by BigOkieWhiteBoy916 View Post
    What is the difference between a mid belly and a short belly? I understand the concept of the head being shorter, but what makes the line easier to use? Shootablity?
    The longer bellied traditional spey lines were made for a style that fished with much line on the water- thus picking up line and setting an anchor was difficult. With the short head lines you strip in line to near the head, set your anchor, and shoot line (much like the old single hander shooting heads). The shorted lines allow much more line weight concentrated in the head to turn over T14 and big fly (ie Skagit style) and to shoot long presentations with finer delivery (scandi style). There are many variables, but stripping in running line and managing a shorter head for your anchor is the main difference from traditional spey.

At least that's my take.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailknot View Post
    The longer bellied traditional spey lines were made for a style that fished with much line on the water- thus picking up line and setting an anchor was difficult. With the short head lines you strip in line to near the head, set your anchor, and shoot line (much like the old single hander shooting heads). The shorted lines allow much more line weight concentrated in the head to turn over T14 and big fly (ie Skagit style) and to shoot long presentations with finer delivery (scandi style). There are many variables, but stripping in running line and managing a shorter head for your anchor is the main difference from traditional spey.

At least that's my take.

Ok that makes sense. Thanks

Thanks 'NailKnot'......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958