Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff's 2016 AR Shad Reports

The flow dropped a little and changed the sweet spot where I was killing it the last couple weeks. Had my slowest day so far with 6 to hand and not a bite for the first 2 hours. No worries though, days like this make the good ones feel even better.

We met a couple guys (Mark & his friend) who were gracious enough to let my daughter and I step into there spot after they fished it through. It was really nice of them to let us stay there.

Fished Harrington this morning, 630AM - 11AM. 15 spin fishermen in a line at the access, 20 fish landed that I saw. Fish are holding about 100-200 feet above the access at the edge of the California broom trees that block the bank in that area. Mid river is where they were casting (floats and darts)

One Spey fiend on Gristmill side, 0 fish caught ...

One single handed fiend on the Harrington side (me) 0 fish caught ...

Two boats full of fly fishing types working the Gristmill side below the access, 0 fish caught.

The line started breaking up about 10;30AM, and I chatted with a few of the fellows in the parking lot. "Not as good as last week" was the consensus. To get into the fish here would require Spey and a long cast - which is unlikely with all the spin fishing lads nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbenlong View Post
    The flow dropped a little and changed the sweet spot where I was killing it the last couple weeks. Had my slowest day so far with 6 to hand and not a bite for the first 2 hours. No worries though, days like this make the good ones feel even better.

We met a couple guys (Mark & his friend) who were gracious enough to let my daughter and I step into there spot after they fished it through. It was really nice of them to let us stay there.
    Great to see you getting after it this year Ben! Seems like this is going to shape up to be a fantastic year, bummed I'm missing it. You better be careful or your daughter is going to outfish you before you know it!

Another epic float with Earle this evening. We boated almost a hundred shad!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Another epic float with Earle this evening. We boated almost a hundred shad!
    Dang, that's a good float!!

Walthers: Wish you were here knockin' them down with me. It is so nice out on the river right now. Trying to go at least 3 or 4 days a week.

Jeff C.: nice work on the numbers. I think I might have to float down. I have been just fishing in one spot and not really moving around. Been hitting about 25 - 30 average except for yesterday.

Terry Thomas at the shop said they already sold 100 dozen Bloody Maria shad flies this year.

That gives you some idea how good the Shad run is this year on the Lower American River.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

We also roped em really good yesterday.
    I have no idea how many....we dont keep track. Too many to count.
    I know my arm was sore by the end of the evening.
    Even netted my first two shad in one cast. This one finally stuck.
    It was so good I even broke out my old sci fi anglers click paw 4wt reel and got a few on it.
    It had been about 20 years since I saw that old bright orange line buried under the once often fished line.
    Needless to say....epic out there!

Would anyone like to reply with your thoughts on where the Shad are right now?

Upper A
    Lower A
    AllOver A

The Skunk is off the boat, finally ..

Fished Upper Sunrise from 6:30AM to 11:30 this morning. Managed to "low hole" a fellow angler I didn't see behind a low hanging tree - as a means of introduction to the area ... not my normal style ...

... apologized profusely and backed out. Moved about a half mile above the "island" and enjoyed a nice bite between 7:00AM to 7:30AM, and then everything settled down to the more normal "a couple of grabs an hour" action. Landed 8, LDR'd 3 more.

5 spey fiends visible, 2 below and three above, didn't see much action - but then they didn't move all morning, which is likely about the same grab rate I was experiencing ... just enough to keep you interested.

4 Spin fishermen, only one fellow caught fish.

All my fish were on #8 Opal/White or Rootbeer colored flies.
    Last edited by kbarton; 06-05-2016 at 01:13 PM.