Thread: PNW Steelhead suggestions

Default PNW Steelhead suggestions

Driving back down to Cali from Washington after xmas. Anyone have any recommendations on rivers in lower Washington or Oregon?

All of them are worth a try!

I've been seeing some fresh winter steel from quite a few rivers in Oregon this past week.

Sounds like a great road trip you have planned. Good luck

+1 salmonid.... Yes quite a few rivers will have plenty of fish coming down towards Cali.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Man, that ranks up there with "I'll be walking through the middle of an SI Swimsuit shoot. Are there any models I should look at?"

So many that I haven't fished. If time allows, the coastal streams west / SW of Portland have been on my bucket list. I have fished (and caught fish) on the Kalama, just a bit north of Portland. The NF Lewis is as well, and you cross both on I-5 and can hit very fishable water within a short distance of I-5. The Sandy is a great option just east of Portland, and I've heard good things about the Clackamas and Molalla, but never fished either of them. Of course, the upper Rogue will hold fish. I've drifted the main stem Umpqua down around Elkton in Dec and done very well, but that's big water with little bank access.

I'll let others expound on the CA waters, etc. I can recommend the Kalama, Sandy and Rogue from personal experience, the others only second hand. The only real limits are time and money.

Have a great trip!

Ross,
    File this site -
    http://www.dfw.state.or.us/RR/index.asp
    Just below the date at the top of the page, click on a region.
    The south coastal streams (Oregon) and north coast (Ca) may well be having some
    steelhead showing. The Calif streams have been open/closed due to
    flows.
    Enjoy the drive.
    Larry S

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    Driving back down to Cali from Washington after xmas. Anyone have any recommendations on rivers in lower Washington or Oregon?
    Depends on what the river levels are at the time. Send me a PM when it is closer. I live in Washington just outside of Portland. If it is midweek, maybe we can meet up and I can show you some less populated spots as long as you promise not to blog the location.
    Last edited by speyfool; 12-07-2015 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by speyfool View Post
    Depends on what the river levels are at the time. Send me a PM when it is closer. I live in Washington just outside of Portland. If it is midweek, maybe we can meet up and I can show you some less populated spots as long as you promise not to blog the location.
    I'm liking this, and a very kind offer Speyfool! Hope your timing works out with this offer Ross. Have fun and safe travels.
    Last edited by Mark Kranhold; 12-07-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by speyfool View Post
    Thanks! Definitely will. Only issue is the time the rivers open to steelhead fishing. I'll have to be close if not already past the CA border by the first of Jan. Lots of those rivers open Jan 1 or Feb 1. I'll send you a PM Speyfool when it gets closer. I'll be hitting the Olympic Peninsula for a day in Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    Man, that ranks up there with "I'll be walking through the middle of an SI Swimsuit shoot. Are there any models I should look at?"

Kalama, NF Lewis Clackamas and Molalla, Kalama, Sandy a
    bingo

cowlitz as well as north west oregon - bingo

fish on way up, but all are so blown now

my spot went from 1200 cfs to 20,000 cfs yesterday with 2.96 inches in the day same today insane to see an island i fished now under 7 ft of water !!!!

rivers may crest tonight

call your buddy and meet him on umpqua or willamette valley (flooding today)

are you not going north east of seaTLE?

fish the sky queets or skagit or 7 others (all surfing well right now 45,000 cfs from 1000
    but should drop by xmas)
    Last edited by DAVID95670; 12-08-2015 at 11:08 AM.
    There is a fine line between fishing and standing there like an idiot!

The Cowlitz would be a waste of time in my opinion.
    Since they stopped the early plants (chambers creek) there isn't much around like there used to be. It is a March / April show now.
    The Kalama would be a better bet.
    The Chehalis system and tribs have been closed due to week coho runs. Word is they will open the Dec 16th. The Wynochee would be your best option in that area. Again a little early for prime fishing and bank access is somewhat limited.
    There should be some hatchery fish still around in the Bogachiel. There is a slide up in the park that is causing clarity issues.
    A few native fish will be sneaking in as well.
    The non tribal sections of the Salmon and the Queets below that are worth checking out.
    This link may help you plan your trip as it will generally be hatchery fish in December.
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/hatcheries/escape...015/120315.pdf
    Enjoy your trip.
    SF
    Last edited by stonefish; 12-08-2015 at 10:26 PM.