Thread: it's raining!

Default it's raining!

Finally getting some rain here Any ideas on how much it typically takes to get some fish moving into some of the north coast streams? Any thoughts on which rivers, or areas tend to get started first (or any hints)?

I know I'm probably a bit over anxious, but still when I heard that pitter patter on the roof this morning it got me thinking. Can't wait to fish some of those gorgeous rivers.
    JB

I was going to go out this morning but I need to get a good waterproof jacket before I get into fishing in the rain.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

A big slug of salmon just moved into the American this morning. My friend went out today and everybody in the line up limited out with some nice chromers 15-25 lbs. I'm sure some steel will be right behind them!

Default where

Where was he fishing? Heading out tomorrow to beat the water and it would be nice to show a little reward for the effort.

I also got a report from a friend of my fathers that said there are a ton load of fish going through the system. I was really waiting for this rain to get some fish moving. He also limited at 2 real quick. Anything red and in there face will work.
    Aron-

Quote Originally Posted by bmcclintic View Post
    Where was he fishing? Heading out tomorrow to beat the water and it would be nice to show a little reward for the effort.
    Morning seems to be the best and in the riffles. Sunrise riffles, Howe riffles, Sailor bar riffles all good to go.
    Aron-

Yahooo.......................!
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Jason, I just called the Dfg Open Water line for the Napa River and coastal rivers for Marin, Sonoma and Mendocino Counties....all rivers, except the Russian are closed. The number to check this is 707-944-5533. The numer for further north, ie the Eel, Mad, etc is 707-822-3164. It has been raining pretty hard here in Ukiah but I think it's getting soaked up pretty fast...we need quite a bit more to get the fish really moving in the traditional rivers.

Well I went out this evening and got on the river about 6:20pm and lost 4 fish on the hang. They were to big for the leader I had with me. Only 10 lbs Maxima Ultra Green.

They were fun though and put of a good fight.
    Aron-

Thumbs up Coastal Rivers/Streams....

In answer to Jason's original question about coastal rivers/streams, there're some generalities that you can apply over there (aside from the closures).

Typically, shorter/smaller rivers/streams clear quicker than the longer/larger ones. The exception is that if a river has an dam on it, the water downstream from the dam will be clear unless flows become extreme.

Some rivers, like the Russian and Mad Rivers, get muddied up after a heavy rain and don't clear up for lengthy periods.

Since streams tend to get off color quickly, their upper parts will clear quickest. On the other hand, larger rivers will muddy quickly in their upper parts but take some time to muddy up in the lower sections. Of course, all of this depends on the amount of rains and where they take place.

The Smith River has its own set of rules. Doesn't seem to matter much how much rainfall occurs up there. It stays relatively clear due to running through rocky canyons.

One final suggestion is if fishing an estuary, tidal flows will affect water clarity, even in rain storms. High tides associated with strong swells/surf will tend to push back against the outflow providing limited but fishable visibility. Also, sea water is usually warmer than in-stream flows. All of which adds up to some really hot fish in the estuaries if you time it right.

Remember, these are just generalities. Hope this helps....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown