Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crowley is red hot !

Default love it.

Crowley Lake has always been an incredible fishery. This season it seems to be real consistent w/ plenty of strong big fish - a lot of people are having success this season which is good to see.

We are finding big numbers of large brown trout this year, which is nice. Credit DFG for having smart regulations and management of the put & grow program!!!

There are many traditional stillwater techniques that work on Crowley. But it seems the indicator techniques are really popular now. Stripping can still be a blast from a float tube the latter half of the season. If you are worried about afternoon winds, the Crowley Lake Marina and Fish Camp has tons of aluminum Jon boats for rent. They also have nice camping pads and 2 new log cabins for rent. Friendly staff and honest help.

I like to credit the early pioneers, Harry Blackburn and Mike Peters, for developing the modern indicator stillwater technique most of us use on Crowley today. These two guides were the first to do it on Crowley Lake after learning from others from the eastern Oregon stillwaters. Harry is one of the best guides I know and continues to evolve his game after some 20+ years of guiding (I think his CA Guide Lic # is in double digits?). He's forgotten more about fly fishing than I will ever learn.

If you never have fished Crowley Lake, this season may be a good time to try it.
    Last edited by Dave Neal; 08-26-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: grammar
    "Fishing should be a ceremony that reaffirms our place in the natural world and helps us resist further estrangement from our origins."
    Thomas McGuane

www.reeladventuresguideservice.com

Default Temperature

Does anyone know what the water temperature of Crowley is?.... I don't indicator fish, but i do like to strip a fly when the water cools down.

Default water temp

according to "thetroutfly.com" -- see fishing report, water temps are getting pretty warm. However, now seems to be the time to be there for folks who like to strip flies, since the fish are keyed on the perch fry along the weed lines.

Last year, water temps didn't get down into the high 50's until well into October, and this year has been warmer.
    Betty

I've been on the lake a bit this week and temps are finally on the down turn. Where I've seen surface water temps of 71-73 in the recent past, now I'm seeing more 67-70's - the bottom of the lake in most places where trout are actually holding is in low 60's.

DFG recently did a big dump of dinkers. Lots of Lahontan CT have been put in, so you have to deal w/ the plentitude of little willies in between big fish. Great for kids right now!!

There are a lot of signs that trout are on the perch and other fry... as we speak

It has been noticeably colder at night recently, and fall is in the air. Hot Creek Ranch recorded a morning temp of 26 the other day. Mid day air temps in Mammoth have been high 70's for a daily high.

I'm not sure what the average has been but save a few weeks this summer, I don't believe we've had a particularly hot summer here in Mammoth...

Right now the weather is perfect.
    "Fishing should be a ceremony that reaffirms our place in the natural world and helps us resist further estrangement from our origins."
    Thomas McGuane

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Neal View Post
    I've been on the lake a bit this week and temps are finally on the down turn. Where I've seen surface water temps of 71-73 in the recent past, now I'm seeing more 67-70's - the bottom of the lake in most places where trout are actually holding is in low 60's.

DFG recently did a big dump of dinkers. Lots of Lahontan CT have been put in, so you have to deal w/ the plentitude of little willies in between big fish. Great for kids right now!!

There are a lot of signs that trout are on the perch and other fry... as we speak

It has been noticeably colder at night recently, and fall is in the air. Hot Creek Ranch recorded a morning temp of 26 the other day. Mid day air temps in Mammoth have been high 70's for a daily high.

I'm not sure what the average has been but save a few weeks this summer, I don't believe we've had a particularly hot summer here in Mammoth...

Right now the weather is perfect.
    Thanks Dave for the info. i think i give Crowley a couple of more weeks to cool down.
    Do you know if the road into Leighton Springs is still closed ??

Gene, float tube stripping should only get better and better over the next few weeks! Have fun on your trip.

I have not actually driven the road down to Leighton Sp, only been out on my boat driving by... but I've seen vehicles parked down near the lake at Leighton this summer? Many of the access roads to the lake now have those cement chicanes put up by DWP in order to block trailered boats from launching (directing all boats to the Marina a S Landing) in order to prevent spread of Quagga Mussels etc...

The chicanes can be navigated in a two axle vehicle, even a big truck...

Anyway, the chicane at Leighton is not too far a walk to lake access...

Next time I'm out there I will try and get a better idea of road access right to the water edge.

Also, Green Banks has up to the bank drive up access (be careful driving on the sand, seen many stuck vehicles) And w/ the lake so low it would not be hard to cross the lake between Leighton and Six Bays in a tube or pontoon.

BTW, I like your preference for spelling it Leighton Springs! LOL
    Last edited by Dave Neal; 08-29-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling
    Thomas McGuane