Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant Dorado

Aloha Carl, I know you have caught some big do-dos. Here is my largest, 70lbs on 50lb test and the shimano trevella rod in my hands. Big mahi are so much fun. Dennis Braid's is unreal, they thought it was a marlin at first. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Mems,

Outstanding Dorado . My largest on a fly was 48 pounds, I have hooked larger but never landed.

I have caught over a hundred Tarpon in the 100 pound range on the fly and even some larger and I still believe that a 50 Dorado could pull a 100 pound Tarpon backwards then turn around and eat it. I think the Dorado is the best fly rod fish ever.
    my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Thank you, Carl and right on. Dorado are prolific, eager fly eaters, live near the surface, pull hard and jump. Once you get one to bite, he excites some of the others who are then likely to bite too. The clues to their location are easy to read, even for novices. The only problem is they taste so good; overfishing can be a problem.

nice fish mems

Default Over Fishing.....

McFish, I agree. The MX government has removed protections from commercial fishing for Dorado. The result is that Dorado (Mahi) is on the menu of a lot of restaurants in MX and Calif. There is a limit on the number of Dorado taken by recreational fishermen but I'm mot sure how well it's enforced. So, even tho Dorado grow rapidly and are prolific, it must be tough to keep the fishery going....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Lefty Kreh said that 'schoolie' Dorado are a suicidal fish......

Many fly fishers have been going to Loreto, Baja, Mexico in the mid-summer for Dorado for many decades now.

Carl Blackledge would be our expert for fishing there if you have any questions.

La Paz and Loreto are still the best bang for the buck for inshore / off shore salt water fly fishing.

Dorado, Roosterfish, Jack Crevalle, Skipjack, Yellowfin tuna, sailfish and marlin are some of the species.

Jay Murakoshi would be our expert on La Paz.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill,

With a lot of the regular fisheries going to hell the past few years, Mexico is even brighter then ever. Also the Peso has fallen to 20-1 which makes our trips even cheaper if you pay for everything on your CC with no foreign exchange fees.

The last 3 years have better each year and especially with this year and the large hold over of bait and Dorado. 2019 will be off the hook. Most of the regulars have already booked for even longer periods of time and are bringing new people. The more people the more fun.

Carl Blackledge

Darian,

In Loreto where I stay and fish the Mexican government declared most of the surrounding area where we fish as a Marine park and off limits to long liners and other guys who come in and net our sardines. Since that time our fishing has really improved and the past few years has shown great results, Now after saying that the bill-fish don't seem to be affected one way or another we always have tons of bill-fish and the giant rooster's we have will all die of old age.

Carl Blackledge

Thanks Carl

What is your favorite time to go to Loreto for Dorado?

I guess the Oasis is your favorite place to stay?

I am guessing that people are using 9' 4 pc #10 to 12 weight outfits?

I am sure if anyone here wants to go down there the same time Carl and his buddies are there he could help you get set up.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........