Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Striped bass...

Dave. Thanking you for taking the time to shed more light on this subject. It's good to read additional, firsthand knowledge on this process. I hope to learn more as we move forward.

briansII

Thumbs up History/Perspective....

Interesting.... The historical perspective is important but it's just history and all of it was discussed at length on Dan's BB (with a lot of emotion, I might add).

So, with that in mind, can we agree that what we have to deal with now is how to craft a reasonable opposition to DFG's proposal Not sure I want to know if the current proposal could've had more impact as this one is scary enough.... Lets keep our focus on developing info that will support our opposition to the proposal....
    Last edited by Darian; 12-06-2011 at 12:19 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Interesting.... The historical perspective is important but it's just history and all of it was discussed at length on Dan's BB (with a lot of emotion, I might add).

So, with that in mind, can we agree that what we have to deal with now is how to craft a reasonable opposition to DFG's proposal Not sure I want to know if the current proposal could've had more impact than this one as this one is scary enough.... Lets keep our focus on developing info that will support our opposition to the proposal....

Here, here!
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Arrow Intervenors again....

Marty,.... In a prior post, you mention that two of the intervenors were invited to a meeting to discuss the proposal. I would like to find out the names of the two organizations as they might have some info that would be useful. Could you give me the name/e-mail of someone in your General Counsels Office for contact
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian and Robin,

We're working on it. In fact that is all Mike McKenzie and I are doing with most of our spare time. We've developed a work flow process and, at the current moment, are waiting for the staff report from DFG so that we know exactly what science is being used and how it's organized in support the proposal. Our cards are close to the vest for the obvious reasons but a procedure has been initiated and we have help.

My comments here were not meant to send the process backwards by focusing on days gone by, but rather, to inform those on Kiene's board of the history of the suit, from our perspective. I don't know if everyone following this thread visits other sites.

Enough said, from me for now, I'm sure!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Marty,.... In a prior post, you mention that two of the intervenors were invited to a meeting to discuss the proposal. I would like to find out the names of the two organizations as they might have some info that would be useful. Could you give me the name/e-mail of someone in your General Counsels Office for contact
    Office of General Counsel is at (916) 654-3821. Steve Ingram has been the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sellers View Post
    So, without our input, it seems you are saying that it could have been worse.

If that is your opinion, then I think people should know it, and I appreciate your offering it. Do you care to elaborate on what the proposal might have been had our concerns not been part of the process?
    I'm not going to hypothesize about what the proposal might have been.

It's worth reminding folks of these facts: In (as I recall) 2010, NOAA Fisheries --- by letter and in person --- asked the Commission to (more or less) remove all limits on the recreational harvest of striped bass. Reducing predation through revisions to sportfishing regulations is a prominent feature of NOAA Fisheries' Public Draft Central Valley Recovery Plan for the listed Central Valley salmonids.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sellers View Post
    BTW, apologies for questioning your "personal" integrity.
    Accepted w/o reservation.
    Last edited by Marty Gingras; 12-08-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Default Question?

Marty,

With the proposal in mind, Is there some contingency plan if that fails? I don't mean not passing, but being implemented and the results not being satisfactory. If striper numbers are reduced and we still don't see a rebound in the listed species, what could we expect next from the department? Would it be another review of predatory species in the Delta, or perhaps a look at other factors such as managing resources(water)?

Thanks,

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    With the proposal in mind, Is there some contingency plan if that fails? I don't mean not passing, but being implemented and the results not being satisfactory.
    We are using the term 'adaptive management' the way you are using the term 'contingency plan'.

The Staff Report has a simple adaptive management plan that will give you a sense of how we see things.

I just posted a thread here with a link to the Staff Report:

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthre...722#post108722

I would imagine that the adaptive management plan will get fleshed out if the Commission does not reject the proposal outright.

Thumbs up Good Question....

Justin,.... We must've been channeling each others thoughts.... I have an additional question (or two):

I've been reading about hatcheries and find that there are two types. 1) a production hatchery and 2) a conservation hatchery. Has the Department considered using the conservation hatchery for maintaining a breeding population of Delta listed species other than for Salmon/Steelhead It was reported in our local newspaper that UC Davis was considering collecting specimens for a potential breeding program.... To your knowledge, has UC Davis, implemented/collected any of those species for breeding/preservation

Author unknown