Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cave Spring Cabins and trout

Default Cave Spring Cabins and trout

Staying in one of the cabins this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of places to fish this time of year. Mainly just looking for good access points to hike the river from. Might head over to check out the McCloud too. My first time checking out the areas up there and would mainly fish streamers or dry's.
    Any other things to check out while I'm there?

Thanks,
    Russell

You have to go into the old Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir and see Bob Grace for some appropriate flies and some good advice.

Most people upstream nymph all morning, take a brake mid-day and go out the last few hours for dry fly fishing.

We had a cabin there for 10 years across the street from Fred Gordon, the most famous guide for the Shasta Lake tributaries.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill said it best: Bob is the go-to resource in Dunsmuir.

Any way you can find to get down the the river will be rewarding, including driving to the north a little and fishing the upper-upper Sac just below the dam. Not easy walking but beautiful and quiet...except for the occasional train. There are so many place to fish there just a short drive away....Upper McCloud can be fun, albeit not the wild trout you would find down below...a much more "decisive" drive. Then there are the Sac sections below town, each with it's own freeway exit.

Have a great time.

We always stayed at the Cave Springs Motel & Cabins before we bought a cabin in Dunsmuir.

The Cave Springs also manages dozens of private vacation rentals, home and cabins.

https://www.cavesprings.com/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by RSK View Post
    Staying in one of the cabins this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of places to fish this time of year. Mainly just looking for good access points to hike the river from. Might head over to check out the McCloud too. My first time checking out the areas up there and would mainly fish streamers or dry's.
    Any other things to check out while I'm there?

Thanks,
    Russell

Ted Fay's Fly Shop will have Streamtime map that shows/describes all the access points plus the shop always is helpful with what is hot and where the river is best. Great bunch of guys.

Here is link to a Fishing Tips article with access points listed: go to the USFS website link in the article.

http://www.fishingtips101.com/favori...nto_river.html

Jim
    Last edited by JayDubP; 05-18-2021 at 09:07 AM.

Any of that pocket water on the river will provide good fishing. Why do you think Ted Fay fished those heavy flies? The key is to get down, even in the heavy current. High stick nymphing will get you into fish. The fish are there, you just have to find them and then force feed them. ��

Hard to believe it's been a year since I have been up to Dunsmuir. We ventured out for a couple nights up there in late May/early June last year as we were all getting used to the new reality. Fishing was great, but the town was deserted and it all felt a bit "verboten". Wish I had time to get up there the next few weeks before it gets too hot and (probably) smoky.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Hard to believe it's been a year since I have been up to Dunsmuir. We ventured out for a couple nights up there in late May/early June last year as we were all getting used to the new reality. Fishing was great, but the town was deserted and it all felt a bit "verboten". Wish I had time to get up there the next few weeks before it gets too hot and (probably) smoky.
    Just got back and yeah its quiet but I love having the cantara loop all to myself during the week-city park also!. The sun vs freezing gusty breeze was a little much. Ted Fay is the way togo! Can't wait to come back

Had to cancel last minute last year due to emergency veterinary surgery but have a trip booked again for late May. Any reports from this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by RSK View Post
    Had to cancel last minute last year due to emergency veterinary surgery but have a trip booked again for late May. Any reports from this spring.
    I fished it last Friday (4/29). Fished mid-river areas. Flows were a tad high, but wading was fine. You can even cross over in many places. Water is still very cold.

Fishing wasn't red hot, but it was fine. I hooked 12 fish, 4 of them were very nice (15-17" or so). The rest were 8-11".

Hatches were very sporadic. Lots of tiny midges all day. Some pink mayflies, and a few caddis in the afternoon. No stones seen. All my fish came on a Mercer's gold bead poxyback hare's ear. Not a touch on rubberlegs. Didn't see any fish feeding on top either.

Never saw another angler the entire day. However, I tend to fish away from access points. Well.....I park at access points, then hoof it up the train tracks a couple miles and fish back down to the car. Poison oak is in full bloom, so be weary of that.

The river is in fantastic shape right now.

~Jeff