Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Spearfishing on the American; it has begun

Quote Originally Posted by DAVID95670 View Post
    On a serious note (not crapping on my friends love guns but hate spear guns obvious oxymoron) ....but elimiating stripers from the American River would be a good this for native species these fish were never native....too bad they do not target Shad with the spear guns.

I like fishing for them as long as they are here and it is legal however from a naturist stand they are invasive species to the American....

i still want to take some steelhead eggs fertilize them and plant them up river of folsom lke it would be amazing to have a large population in the lake going up the american rivers what the hell
    Considering that the stripers have coexisted fine with the salmonids for over 100 years eliminating them isn't going to change the current salmon and steelhead situation. The salmon and steelhead that we do have now are convuluted versions of the native fish, as so many strains have been mixed by the hatcheries for many years. I'm sorry to bear the bad news, but the days of native salmon and steelhead thriving on the American River are long gone. Hatchery fish are the only reason we have any salmonids left to fish for, between water diversions, lack of spawning habitat and poor water quality reviving the native populations is not gonna happen. The current runs are supported by hatchery fish, which are not just American River based, so technically they would be considered non native as well( if you truly want to revive the native fish).
    Eliminating the stripers will help nothing other than providing fewer oppurtunities for anglers, something that should be cherished by those who enjoy the diverse fishery we have in an urban setting.

Default It is illegal to spearfish anywhere in the american river from hazel ave to discovery

IT IS ILLEGAL TO SPEARFISH ANYWHERE IN THE AMERICAN RIVER FROM HAZEL AVE TO DISCOVERY

I kind of suspected this but didn't want to open my mouth until I'd heard it directly from CA F&W.

Because the American River Parkway is under the auspices of PARK and Sacramento County Ordinance, their regulations governing firearms in the AR PKWY actually override the jurisdiction of the CDFW regulations which provision for spearfishing in freshwater.

Plain and simple, firearms of any kind are strictly prohibited in the American River Parkway and so it is indeed illegal to use or even possess a spear gun in any of the waters therein.

9.36.060 Firearms, Air Guns, and Other Weapons.
    No person other than peace officers
    in the discharge of their duties sh
    all use, maintain, possess, fire, or
    discharge any firearm, air gun, spring gun, bow and
    arrow, slingshot, or any other weapon potentially
    dangerous to wildlife or human safety, except in areas, at times, and under conditions designated by the
    director for such use. A violation of the provisions
    of this section is a misdemeanor. (SCC 576 § 15, 1983.)

I confirmed this with long time CDFW Game Warden, Allan Weingarten today.

SO Benny, next time, you'll need to educate Cal-Tip~;")

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    except in areas, at times, and under conditions designated by the
    director for such use.
    This might be the part that allows spearguns. It has been designated that spearfishing is allowed on the river.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Default thinking that loophole... isn't one

except in areas, at times, and under conditions designated by the
    director for such use.
    This might be the part that allows spearguns. It has been designated that spearfishing is allowed on the river.
    Allan confirmed with the director that the above provision has no bearing... and confirmed with me that he would indeed gift any and all spearos in the parkway with a tidy ticket and a hefty fine...

I'm awaiting a call from the Sac County supervising ranger to confirm the above.

I believe they JUST had a meeting on this and rangers were debriefed within the last 48 hours.

Not a lawyer, but I think that might refer to the Sac Co Parks Director not the CDFW Director.

Not a lawyer, but I think that might refer to the Sac Co Parks Director not the CDFW Director.
    not sure what "that" refers to but Allan spoke with the head Sac County park ranger as well as the director of his own department.

It was inter-agency confirmation I was referring to above. Simply put, CDFW conferred with SCRPD and the end word was that it is illegal to spearfish in the American River. Cases will be treated as a misdemeanor punishable by law.

Mike O Guest

Unless they enter the river from the Sac?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    That doesn't make a bit of a difference, you'd still be in the parkway and the American River so you'd still be in violation. Doesn't matter how you got there, whether via the Sac or by helicopter, you would still be in the American and in violation of the law.
    Thanks for the clarification on what I was suspecting as well Mark; hopefully they post signs before any more damage is done.

I considered that also before I typed~

and whereas that may fly regarding access via high water mark in public trust Doctrine/fishing on 'private property' issues... happily, it don't fly here~

You're welcome FG

We're still on the same team~
    M

Default confirmed yet again

I just got off the phone with the SCRPD supervising ranger, Stan Lumsden who confirmed for me that, as already stated... it is 100% illegal to spearfish from Hazel AVE to the confluence at Discovery Park.

Needless to say, there will be poachers pleading ignorance... but the more we mention and discuss it on boards like this, the harder it will be for violators to use the "didn't understand the reg's argument).

I doubt we'll see any signs posted due to budget constraints of the county and state and the lack of any REAL CDFW support for striped bass...