Thread: Carp Help

Default Carp Help

I've been wanting to get into carp fishing for a while now and finally have an idea of where a few of them are! I read a few articles on how to fish for them and gained a bit of knowledge but I just don't learn that way... Would anyone on here be willing to let me tag along with them on their next carp outing? I'd love to get a one-on-one with somebody who knows what they're doing, I'll buy beer and food for your efforts!

Tight lines,
    Gary

Carp are like cats of the fly fishing world. They do what they want when they want. Gotta find the ones that want to eat because if they aren't eating your gonna spend a hell of a time trying to get one to bite. The main idea is to get the fly in front of their face whether it is timing where they are cruising or dropping it in front of where their tailing.
    But as mentioned before you have to find the ones that are willing to eat out of the tens or hundreds you find.
    Carp are a very challenging species to fish for. I know a spot with TONS of carp but I've yet to find them on the feed. A lot of "That looks interesting I think I'm going to ea.... nope" refusals.

Good luck out there.
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/

Thanks Matt! I'll put that information to use when I go back and watch their behavior again.

I've literally bounced flies off their heads and they still won't take. When they finally do it's pretty intense, maybe stronger than steelhead pound for pound. I know people are hesitant about shelling out cash for a guide, but learning the feeding patterns, locations, and rigs first hand is the only way I ever started sticking them. Some species you can fumble around and figure out on your own, but carp are either incredibly smart, or incredibly stupid...and sorting out how to fool them from a pro is the only way to go. Holler at Gilligan up in Truckee, he has a couple ridiculous spots loaded with them and is about the nicest dude you'll ever meet.

http://www.gilligansguideservice.com/

I wanted to revive this thread - I saw a ton of big guys on Winchester Lake jumping around - I would love to get one hooked on a fly - fishing in warm water for Bass, I usually see these guys but I have never had a big one - btw does a sucker fish count as a carp?

Walk the coves and bays at Lake Camanche on the north side. You will find them in herds, but as mentioned, they are tough. We've gotten a few out there, but you have to put in the time.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

sounds like the deal - man I belive they are either 20-30 pounds that I saw at Winchester Lake - jumping out of the water & making huge splashes around me while I am lucky to get a blue gill

They are the "poor man's bonefish". You really have to stalk them carefully, they have excellent eyesight and will spook at the drop of the hat. I've had the best success with black or brown bunny hair leeches with a few wraps of lead to get them to sink. Keep the number of false casts to a minimum and you better be able to cast accurately with a minimum of splash in the water.

I got hooked onto carp fishing 15 years ago by reading Dave Mckenzie's posts on his blog. First carp was caught in May 2002 at Black Butte reservoir, in the flats around Burris Creek. It really is just like bonefishing. Out of 10 fish I stalked, only got 2 to bite. One was a 6lber that took me into the backing of my 5wt, the other was a 10lber that headed toward a stump and broke me off.

If you are not a purist, try chumming for carp by using a mix of panko, strawberry jello mix and canned corn. Match the hatch with a sinking yellow wooly worm. It's how my 10yr old caught his first carp.

Carp are everywhere and under utilized. There's at least 5 bodies of water within 5 miles of my house that have plenty of carp. They are a premier gamefish in Europe and Asia. The US is the only place where carp are not as recognized. But they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by albiec22 View Post
    If you are not a purist, try chumming for carp by using a mix of panko, strawberry jello mix and canned corn. Match the hatch with a sinking yellow wooly worm. It's how my 10yr old caught his first carp.
    Funny that you posted this. I watch this couple's fly fishing adventures in the UK & they did the exact same thing. Good results too.

Orvis covered carp fishing in one of their recent podcasts, the guy had a specific technique for delivering the fly to carp that may be worth a listen