Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clearlake crappie

Default Clearlake crappie

I got hooked last year on crappie fishing at Clearlake. I went only twice but I put it in my calendar to get back again close to the same time of the year. The crappie are in a pre-spawn mode so they can be found in fishable fly fishing depths. What’s so fun with the Clearlake crappie is their size. They are quite sizable fish getting up to four pounds. Most are in the 1 1/2 lb to 2 1/2 pound size and scrappie fighters. I didn’t quite reach double digit numbers but a guide I fished nearby with his two guests got into 62. He said his totals were down a bit from the week because of the full moon stage. I guess I now have a reason why I didn’t get into the double digits.
    I think I will have to try again and see if I can attain my goal of over ten fish for this year.

They are a beautiful fish......

A 3 pounder would probably be a battle.

How do they fly fish for them.....?

A friend of mine fishes for them at night from a boat with lights in Lake Berryessa.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I used both a floating line with a midge or balanced leech or an intermediate line with a nymph or wooly bugger.

Thanks Bill
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    I got hooked last year on crappie fishing at Clearlake. I went only twice but I put it in my calendar to get back again close to the same time of the year. The crappie are in a pre-spawn mode so they can be found in fishable fly fishing depths. What’s so fun with the Clearlake crappie is their size. They are quite sizable fish getting up to four pounds. Most are in the 1 1/2 lb to 2 1/2 pound size and scrappie fighters. I didn’t quite reach double digit numbers but a guide I fished nearby with his two guests got into 62. He said his totals were down a bit from the week because of the full moon stage. I guess I now have a reason why I didn’t get into the double digits.
    I think I will have to try again and see if I can attain my goal of over ten fish for this year.

This sounds a lot better than spending $ 24.00 just to practice casting for the day !!!!!

Way to go Bill, I'm envious.

I may have to give Lahontan Reservoir a try real soon .............. however, there's no Dang Cutthroats in there. !!!

Keep the reports coming !!!!!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    This sounds a lot better than spending $ 24.00 just to practice casting for the day !!!!!

Way to go Bill, I'm envious.

I may have to give Lahontan Reservoir a try real soon .............. however, there's no Dang Cutthroats in there. !!!

Keep the reports coming !!!!!

Bob
    Will do Bob. I think our fishing skills vs our patience for Pyramid is waning thin. Maybe wait a little longer for more fish to come closer to shore.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    I think our fishing skills vs our patience for Pyramid is waning thin. Maybe wait a little longer for more fish to come closer to shore.
    Your words of wisdom never spoken any better !!!!

Bob

I use a sliding bobber with a balanced leech pattern, usually olive or black. I adjust the depth using a bobber stopper. Usually around 10' to 12'. We have some sunken Christmas trees in most of the coves at the lake I fish. They are not as big as what you are catching, I wish they were.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Would you guys recommend april-may for crappie? Ive only caught them incidentally when bass fishing, usually earlier in the season. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Would you guys recommend april-may for crappie? Ive only caught them incidentally when bass fishing, usually earlier in the season. Thanks
    Good question. I think your timeline is correct for most bodies of waters in the valley. Clearlake’s season for crappie is starting now and gets better as the spawning starts taking place.