Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top water stripers

Default YMMV

As a follow up to Robin's posts:

I have an 8-wt TFO Professional Series as my primary Striper stick. It's said to be exactly the same blank as her rod except it's not pink. I have 31 feet of T-11 on it.

I took her and Paul out on my dad's boad last fall and cast her rod with both 33 feet of T-11 and a Clouser and then with the 10-wt OBS floater and a bubblehead. I didn't notice a significant difference between 33 and 31 feet of T-11.

The 10-Wt OBS threw the bubblehead like a dream, so one went on my XMAS list. (It was dark at the time, but I felt like I was throwing that bubblehead 80+feet without working hard.)

So I got the OBS, put it on my Pro series, tied on a mid-size Pole Dancer, and hit the Delta. Result: disappointment. I can't cast it much farther than I can throw the same fly on a 7-wt TFO Signature Series using a Sage Smallmouth line (which weighs 290 grains and isn't designed to shoot well). I'm getting maybe 60 feet with the Pole Dancer, and the rod tip is mushy / colllapsing, the fly isn't turning over all the way despite a furled leader, and there is no joy.

Second trip out, when I can't get the PD to fly like I want, I switch to a bubblehead; a much smaller, lighter fly. Now things improve a lot, but not quite the joy I felt with Robin's rod. But wait a minute, I got the heavy line specifically to throw the big fly (the medium PD is still a big fly). But with my casting stroke, that fly on that line is too much for that 8-wt rod.

So, Paul says he'll buy the almost new 10-wt OBS, and I have to decide whether to step down to the 9 or all the way to the 8-wt OBS.

Anybody have either one they'd let me borrow for a few casts?

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Default Finding the butter..

Mike, i can only reference what works for me...
    I have used the Sm Bass line on a sm Bass rod and that setup will launch the mid size PD easily to meet the need. Likewise with the LMBass rod/line. My favorite topwater striper rig no matter the fly is an 8wt Z-Axis with an 8wt OBS. very easy throwing and smooth as butter. Don't wear yourself out on too heavy of a line for the rod or too fast a rod for long tossing topwater. I have found some rods just don't line up well with an OBS(believe it or not!). For example, with my casting style the TCX 8wt does not work well for me with either the 8wt obs or a 9wt obs. The 9obs felt too heavy and the 8obs felt light as the tip would unload(rod straightens out) on the drift back causing more work to keep the rod loaded. It was tiring. The Z in comparison is pure butter. For the TCX i would search out a different line altogether.

How this translates to your TFO i haven't a clue but if the action is somewhat like a Z-Axis i can confidently say that you will probably like an 8wt.

As for matching same OBS line weight with same weight rod.....

On a trip with KD, I used KD's #9 OBS Floater on a #9 TCR and I felt it was effortless to launch the bubblehead..... retrieving was another issue and that is where the Sage LM Bass rod really shines by deminishing fatigue, at least for me. Kind of made me wonder why we're using 9 foot rods?! And, perhaps I need to evaluate my use of the LM Bass rod in lieu of #9s..... That Sage LM rod is a lot of fun to fish..... I have not tossed the mid size PD on it, but the "keyboard" angler that I've become will gladly take your word for it....

I'm glad you mentioned your experience with the #8 TCX and the OBS. I feel comforted, honestly. I haven't been too keen with either the #8 or #9 OBS on my #8 TCR. I was really disappointed after I thought I had the cat's meow for an I line only to be disappointed. It was a let down especially thinking that Rio/Sage made the OBS lines with TCR/TCX in mind.

I had really hoped that I could use the OBS I line on the #8, but I'm finding that my oldly/moldy Rio Aqualux Intermediate shooting head seem to be a better match at the grain weight of that particular line.

Thanks for insight.

okay, i'm really lost now. i thought that the obs lines are over weighted by 2.( e.g. 8wt. is really a 10wt.)

Quote Originally Posted by ssy View Post
    okay, i'm really lost now. i thought that the obs lines are over weighted by 2.( e.g. 8wt. is really a 10wt.)
    They are...
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Dont' get caught up on "over lined by two" speak....

Each rod design is different, as we all know so well.

Therefore, become familiar with the action of your fly rods and match them according to the grains needed to allow your fly rod to perform as you wish, given the application.

For example: For standard Rio Max Shooting Heads, the #8 Intermediate is 225 grains and the #9 is 250 grains. You have to go to a #12 shooting head to get to 400 grains which is a tad over the #9 OBS as you can see below.

For the OBS, the #8 Intermediate is 315 grains and the #9 is 375 grains.

In summary, it's all about GRAINS.... Start with the grain weight, then adjust thereafter taking into consideration the density and thickness of the coating, etc. (wind resistance).

As an aside, for my casting stroke, the OBS #8 at 315 grains isn't enough for the #8 TCR and 375 grains is too much when casting an intermediate...... for me, the sweet spot is somewhere inbetween... For example, my 'oldy/moldy' Rio Aqualux Intermediate shooting head is 333 grains per the box, but when I weigh it on my digital scale, it's actually 345 with loops. It's not integrated nor does it have the design features of the OBS, but it works just fine for me.

Lastly, what has been a very valuable tool in learning what I actually have vs. what is printed on the "box"...... a digital scale I purchased at a very reasonable price... they can be purchase at an Archery Shop or section at your local 'big box' sporting goods store. Archers weigh their tips or whatever you call the sharp point of an arrow. Just make sure it provides GRAIN weight in addition to grams, etc.

And, I am by no means an 'expert' at this stuff..... I don't have even a fraction of the time on the 'water' that both Charlie G., Charlie B. and KD have using OBS with the array of topwater flies they have in their fly boxes. What information they have shared has provided us all with a good starting point, but from that point, you/I have to make adjustment for personal casting styles and overall intent and application.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 01-28-2011 at 12:21 PM.

what do you folks think of the tfo clouser 9wt. rod with the rio obs int. in 9wt. for 6ft. of water or less? will it cast better than the tfo bvk with the same line?
    Last edited by ssy; 01-29-2011 at 07:54 AM.

what do you folks think of the tfo clouser 9wt. rod with the rio obs int. in 9wt. for 6ft. of water or less? will it cast better than the tfo bvk with the same line?
    SSY,

Unfortunately, you're probably at the point where you're going to have to "bite the bullet" and buy the line and the rod...... Frustrating, yes. We've all experienced it.... that's why so many of us have plastic bins of flylines at our homes..... and why you see so many on the classifieds.... not to mention what Bill K. has to clear out each year....

Everyone's casting stroke, applications, and conditions are different. However, there is enough insight from this thread to determine what kind of rod seems to work well with the OBSCW lines with regards to tossing up to the medium size PD (and anything smaller).... Including the Sage LM Bass rod, which for some reason, is overlooked.

At the end of the day, you could make most of the rods mentioned here work with the OBSCW exceptionally well. What you have to remember is that many of the people on this forum are "enthusiast" or connoisseurs, so they love to 'split hairs' and continue to find that ultimate 'mouse trap'.

Just keep in mind that this is FISHING, not brain surgery. Keep it as simple as possible and enjoy. Don't let it become like work....
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 01-31-2011 at 10:39 PM.

thanks os. iguess i'll just have to spend the day at a keines and cast different stuff. sorry for beating a dead horse on this subject. i must learn all the different terms in flyfishing.
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    SSY,

Unfortunately, you're probably at the point where you're going to have to "bite the bullet" and buy the line and the rod...... Frustrating, yes. We've all experienced it.... that's why so many of us have plastic bins of flylines at our homes..... and why you see so many on the classifieds.... not to mention what Bill K. has to clear out each year....

Everyone's casting stroke, applications, and conditions are different. However, there is enough insight from this thread to determine what kind of rod seems to work well with the OBSCW lines with regards to tossing up to the medium size PD (and anything smaller).... Including the Sage LM Bass rod, which for some reason, is overlooked.

At the end of the day, you could make most of the rods mentioned here work with the OBSCW exceptionally well. What you have to remember is that many of the people on this forum are "enthusiast" or connoisseurs, so they love to 'split hairs' and continue to find that ultimate 'mouse trap'.

Just keep in mind that this is FISHING, not brain surgery. Keep it as simple as possible and enjoy. Don't let it become like work....

thanks os. iguess i'll just have to spend the day at a keines and cast different stuff. sorry for beating a dead horse on this subject. i must learn all the different terms in flyfishing.
    Be confident that if you assemble any of the rods or similar type of rods mentioned within this thread with the OBSCW, you'll do just fine. The final tweek or adjustment to your system is up to you as nobody knows what you require....

If you're lucky, you'll find a $99 rod that matches the OBSCW line and exceeds your requirements... then you won't have to fork out hundreds of more dollars......