Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This sums it all up

We, as stewards of the rivers, streams and lakes, need to stop this project in it's tracks and explain to our friends and neighbors what the short and long term impacts will be them and to our communities. We also need to look at how we can impact this issue right in our own front and back yards.
    Truer words not spoken...

I remember Victory Gardens and neighborhood co-ops in the 70's whereby once a month, members would exchange home-grown produce. It was awesome in theory and better in practice but somehow never took hold on a grand scale. Likely, not enough land to grow in most backyards and most (like my parents) were too busy working to afford the mortgage on the property they recently acquired.

We as a culture have become overly-reliant on others to lay the ground work for our provisions... It permeates most aspects of life and is why few people are truly independent, self-sustaining and why many shop at Walmart, have no ability nor desire to work on their own cars, think it's disgusting to kill and eat an animal and yet don't bat an eye about ordering a Big Mac...

Sadly, it may take a cataclysmic event to force humankind towards adopting conservation ethics if for no other reason than self-preservation...

For in the end, the majority will fight only for that which directly affects their livelihoods and/or deepest passions.

Most of us here have a head start because our lives are intertwined (through our sport) directly if not deeply with creatures whose fate lies in the balance.

Keeping the discussions going which promote conservation within our circles is important but it is not enough. We need to promote beyond those circles, to those outside the fishing culture who either don't know or don't care about what is unfolding.

I reread the last sentence of the post above
    We also need to look at how we can impact this issue right in our own front and back yards.
    and something occurred to me...

You CAN do something in your front yard... Even if you can't plant a garden... you CAN plant a sign!

SAVE THE DELTA
    STOP THE TUNNELS!

I heard there was a link where one can order such signs. When I figure out where Governor Brown hid it, I'll post it on the site~
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 12-18-2013 at 06:31 PM.

It's pretty scary to think about the winter drought so far. If we don't get some solid snowpack this winter i can't imagine the state of the Klamath/Trinity and the well being of fall salmon runs. With the artificially enhanced flows during the last two septembers out of Lewiston, and the now extremely low reservoir levels, that could put us in a rough situation in terms of avoiding a fish kill this next year and years to come. Can't help but think that there's just not much water in the "bank" for fish at this point.

As proponents of conservation and sustainable fisheries there is no surer way to guarantee a huge tunnel project with weak oversight tan to stick our heads in the sand and yell SAVE THE DELTA, NO TUNNELS! We have to offer either constructive criticisms of and reasonable changes to bdcp or offer up a viable alternative. Yelling NO feels good but it is counterproductive because a lot more people are yelling YES and they are more powerful and influential than we are.

If we are to get the best deal possible for fish we should be working with DWR and DFW to craft something because something will happen, just a matter of when and how big.

Question BDCP Alternatives....

I've been avoiding this discussion but I find that I agree with Bob Loblaw's last point. We need to make a concerted effort to stop or at least modify the BDCP. To a certain extent, that effort can be based on emotional argument in the form of votes for candidates who do not support the BDCP. However, public comment should be informed and objective.

Start getting involved. i realize everyone doesn't have a lot of time to invest in this but you don't have to read the entire package of the draft BDCP documents (34,000 pages) but you can read executive summaries or read what's reported in the media, read documents produced by knowledgable, respected academics, etc. (pro & con), and discuss the subject with informed people. Keep in touch with related NGO's and/or CSPA. Get an idea of what's really involved at a high level. As an example of media info, in yesterdays SacBee it was reported that there's no evidence that restoration efforts in the BDCP will benefit any of the listed fishes in the Delta. Couple that info with the fact that funding for Delta restoration is dependent on voters approving a $14 billion bond issue and you get an idea of how precarious the restoration effort really is.

Funding, costs and re-payment of debt are major issues that have been deliberately (IMO) been glossed over in all of the DWR documents I've seen. Yet, these issues raise great concern, even among the major players, as to the economic viability of the project and my personal target of choice.

Lots to get involved in. Please do so, or get ready to kiss the Delta as we know it good by....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    I've been avoiding this discussion but I find that I agree with Bob Loblaw's last point. We need to make a concerted effort to stop or at least modify the BDCP. To a certain extent, that effort can be based on emotional argument in the form of votes for candidates who do not support the BDCP. However, public comment should be informed and objective.

Start getting involved. i realize everyone doesn't have a lot of time to invest in this but you don't have to read the entire package of the draft BDCP documents (34,000 pages) but you can read executive summaries or read what's reported in the media, read documents produced by knowledgable, respected academics, etc. (pro & con), and discuss the subject with informed people. Keep in touch with related NGO's and/or CSPA. Get an idea of what's really involved at a high level. As an example of media info, in yesterdays SacBee it was reported that there's no evidence that restoration efforts in the BDCP will benefit any of the listed fishes in the Delta. Couple that info with the fact that funding for Delta restoration is dependent on voters approving a $14 billion bond issue and you get an idea of how precarious the restoration effort really is.

Funding, costs and re-payment of debt are major issues that have been deliberately (IMO) been glossed over in all of the DWR documents I've seen. Yet, these issues raise great concern, even among the major players, as to the economic viability of the project and my personal target of choice.

Lots to get involved in. Please do so, or get ready to kiss the Delta as we know it good by....

The Media is influenced by the same lobbyists who make the decisions with Govt officials in back rooms before and in spite of popular public desires. The people who fight this are systematically marginalized, they simply don't have enough money to compete.

I will be a realist. The best thing we can do for the planet is to wipe ourselves out. It wont be too long now at this rate. You can read about annual temperature change and its impact on flowering grain plants. We are heading to a future with no grains. Good luck out there.

My engine is idling needlessly....

Question Resistance is Futile....

Walter,.... I aimed that post at those who probably aren't going to have a lot of time to go get the info, direct, or read it all on there own.

So, what's your point??? Are you saying nobody should read or listen to any media because they're compromised??? If that's it, I can't agree. Some types of media may be, as you say, compromised but certainly not all. Even among different news media outlets there're variances in the quality and quantity of info reported.
    Last edited by Darian; 12-19-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I try to stay low profile on some of these issues since I'm a SOCal resident. FYI - We did get 1/4" rain today
    in San Diego. I see de-sal as the obvious for coastal CA. Sure it's expensive. But, what are the costs of shipping
    water south? The politicians are pathetic. In response to a proposed de-sal plant in the Huntington Beach region,
    its mayor said "Who would buy their water?" See the Kiene post under the Conservation threads. Fishing advocates
    need to bombard the media with actual dollar figures for fish and fishing. Merry Christmas to you all.
    Best,
    Larry S

As proponents of conservation and sustainable fisheries there is no surer way to guarantee a huge tunnel project with weak oversight tan to stick our heads in the sand and yell SAVE THE DELTA, NO TUNNELS! We have to offer either constructive criticisms of and reasonable changes to bdcp or offer up a viable alternative. Yelling NO feels good but it is counterproductive because a lot more people are yelling YES and they are more powerful and influential than we are.
    True that. JUST saying, "NO" offers no answers nor alternatives. I really meant it as a symbolic reference or at least a launching point for involvement. I don't think it would be counter productive to physically state a position against the tunnels if that is the best/only way a person can get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Walter,.... I aimed that post at those who probably aren't going to have a lot of time to go get the info, direct, or read it all on there own.

So, what's your point??? Are you saying nobody should read or listen to any media because they're compromised??? If that's it, I can't agree. Some types of media may be, as you say, compromised but certainly not all. Even among different news media outlets there're variances in the quality and quantity of info reported.
    Look at the Southern Cal lake levels. Pyramid lake is 94% full and Lake Castaic is 77% full. There is NO Water shortage in S Cal. Only where they stole all the water from.

The media cannot articulate all of this. They only have time for ads. All of us consumers and the people who are too busy to do anything because of their kids that are overpopulating the planet get what they deserve. A terrible living situation for those children.

Darian, you are absolutely correct on how to fight the good fight. But unless you have money like Ted Turner, good luck at doing anything.

You can meet with high level bureaucrats but in the end their staff analysts who look over the writing you give them will either supercede your idea with those of lobbyists, or the political horsetrading nullifies the effective ideas and actions.

Californias and Americans deserve the leaders they put in power.

If you want something to change, find a way to get rid of Brown and Feinstein. But what other garbage in a suit is there to replace them with?

Sorry if I sound cynical.
    Last edited by Walter; 12-20-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Here is a thought...All Politicians serve no more than 6 years... Their Retirement will be Social Security... Their Health Care will be Medicare... Any Politician caught talking to a Lobbyist would be sent to prison.... That way people would not be in Office long after they were brain Dead.....That would be Change that might give US some Hope.......