Thread: Where to launch to fish the lower American

Default Where to launch to fish the lower American

My dad and I want to fish the lower American this weekend for Stripers. We usually launch at Discovery Park, but that's still closed due to high water. What's our best option?

I know that Howe has reopened, but I've only launched there once, when flows were at about 7000 cfs last year, and I had barely enough depth with our big North River outboard to power back up through the riffle by the island at the golf course. Now flows are 9000 or so.

I was thinking about launching at Miller Park on the Sac, but I've never been to that ramp. I suppose Broderick on the West Sac side is another option, but not an attractive one with the high flows. (Dad has a fairly new truck, so a safe place to park is also an important consideration.)

We're planning on heading out after stopping by the Expo Saturday. Thanks in advance for any advice, and wish me luck trying to find a place to park a big truck and boat at the Expo.

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Question Miller Park....

Don't know anything about the other launch points but several of my bass fishing acquaintances won't launch out of Miller Park due to vandalism and "cruise" activity on lower broadway (especially on weekends)....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Mike,

There is nowhere you can't go on the American at 9,000cfs (except where you're not allowed).

I believe Discovery is open now, Howe and Watt for sure. No debris, clean water, swift and cold.

Have fun.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Default River run

Mike you should have no problem getting around the lower end of the river due to the Sacramento backing up the American. It will make the Campus common riffle much more freindly. Even at 9,000 cfs with the Sacramento at lower flows you should be able to maneuver through no problem. Check with Andy at the shop {Kiene's} I hear he has been out in his boat chasin some linesides. Good luck out there.

Default Thanks for the info--plenty of water in the river

Thanks for the info, guys.

After a long stop at the Expo, we launched at Watt around 1:30 or so under light overcast. There was only one trailer in the parking lot and we pretty much had the river to ourselves.

According to the FishHead app on my iPhone, the river was flowing at 9180 cfs "at Fair Oaks," which I assume means up near Nimbus. We had plenty of water all the way through the Campus Commons run--too smooth for a riffle at that flow and minimum depth was four feet on the sonar, so probably 5 feet from the surface.

We drifted all the way past Business 80 without even a bump, briefly trolled lures in the deep water between the black bridge and Highway 160, then motored back up. A little above Howe (around 5:40), we passed a guy trolling downtream in small rigid pontoon boat who hooked a small striper as we went by.

Water temps were in the 54-55 range. Good clarity, but nobody hungry during the day despite the clouds.

It was nice to be back on the water, though.

Hi Mike,

Did you see any shad down in the lower river?

Jeff C.

Default I saw no shad

But I didn't spend much time looking for them....