Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for switch rod users

Quote Originally Posted by tacocat View Post

@Craig: Those ACR's look like a good option too. However, I LOVE how the Z-Axis switch and Spey rods cast. How are the TCX rods? I haven't tried one yet. Thanks for the advice. I think we are on the same page. Except these switch rods will be used quite a bit for surf fishing, and the Z-Axis (probably the TCX) are rocket launchers. I may drop you a line later.

I very much enjoy casting my Z-Axis rods as well and was pleasantly surprised by the casting of the TCX's. My 12 1/2 ft. 7wt. TCX is a thunderstick (I bought it to toss small rodents and large birds to the far side of the river) but the TCX switch rods I've cast and fished are very smooth and less demanding. They are also a bit longer than the Z-Axis which I liked for two handed casting but a bit less for one handed casting. I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts, particularly after you get a chance to cast them side my side. Kiene's has the rods, and perhaps more importantly good folks with the expertise to help you find just the right magic wand. Again, feel free to ring if you'd care to chat in detail.
    Last edited by Craig Nielsen; 03-21-2011 at 12:54 AM.
    Craig Nielsen

Thanks Grampa! The more I really look into it, it appears a 5wt and a 7wt should cover all my bases. I've thrown the Z-axis overhead, and it's a sweetheart. I'd like to try the TCXs. I think they'll offer more versatility than a long singlehander.
    Do yourself a favor and try out the TCX switchers. I have a couple of them which were used this winter chasing steel and can say without hesitation....these are lightweight, do most everything rods. Sage got it right on these little dart throwers. My .02

Thanks Guys.

Gramps and Larry, I'll have to give them a snap. However, I do lean toward American made tomato stakes. I know the the technology and design are outstanding, and the US staff support is fantastic. However, I've been flinging American made flyrods for nearly twenty years.

I have seen foreign technology slowly exceed the quality of the American made stuff in the bicycle industry. I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything made in Taiwan or Japan. Further, my industry benefits HEAVILY from export consumption in Asia, so much so, it is a primary focus. In reality, I'd just be completing the cycle that keeps me employed, but old habits die hard.

I do agree that JP is a very cool guy with an AWESOME set of bootfoot waders. I'll be check into the Meisers and will definitely be fiddling with the lines once I get dialed in.

I took Jamie Lyle's Spey casting clinic that the Reno Flyshop (great place that will be sorely missed) last summer, and had a ball. Jamie brought out 30 or so lightning rods for us to try. Although it was a 3 or 4 hour class, I threw Skagits for 6 hours. I couldn't get enough.

I may have thrown the 14' TCX, but I'm not sure. It was a Sage something, something. Jamie kept calling it a weapon. Since I didn't need a Skagit ballista, and I rarely need to hang a piece of yarn on the far side of the Truckee, I switched to the 11' Sage something, something. Although not as fun as the 14 footer, it was great once I got the timing down. I've had a proclivity to liking Sage rods for a very long time during my test drives, but I have recently taken a liking to Scotts because they are flat out fun to fish, but they are hard to find and try. Same thing on Beulah. You non Sacto guys have no idea how many fly shops don't carry two handed fly rods.

Thanks for the help, I think you answered my question that the 9'8" single hand rod can wait. A 5/6 should handle that application until I start drift boating. I just need to try as many as I can before deciding. I do appreciate the suggestions and the advice.

Hector

Default tacocat

Good luck with your choice of switch rods. There are a lot of good ones out there. Find one you like and get the line/lines that maximize the rod.

Then enjoy it for years.

Thanks Guys.

Gramps and Larry, I'll have to give them a snap. However, I do lean toward American made tomato stakes. I know the the technology and design are outstanding, and the US staff support is fantastic. However, I've been flinging American made flyrods for nearly twenty years.

I have seen foreign technology slowly exceed the quality of the American made stuff in the bicycle industry. I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything made in Taiwan or Japan. Further, my industry benefits HEAVILY from export consumption in Asia, so much so, it is a primary focus. In reality, I'd just be completing the cycle that keeps me employed, but old habits die hard.

I do agree that JP is a very cool guy with an AWESOME set of bootfoot waders. I'll be check into the Meisers and will definitely be fiddling with the lines once I get dialed in.

I took Jamie Lyle's Spey casting clinic that the Reno Flyshop (great place that will be sorely missed) last summer, and had a ball. Jamie brought out 30 or so lightning rods for us to try. Although it was a 3 or 4 hour class, I threw Skagits for 6 hours. I couldn't get enough.

I may have thrown the 14' TCX, but I'm not sure. It was a Sage something, something. Jamie kept calling it a weapon. Since I didn't need a Skagit ballista, and I rarely need to hang a piece of yarn on the far side of the Truckee, I switched to the 11' Sage something, something. Although not as fun as the 14 footer, it was great once I got the timing down. I've had a proclivity to liking Sage rods for a very long time during my test drives, but I have recently taken a liking to Scotts because they are flat out fun to fish, but they are hard to find and try. Same thing on Beulah. You non Sacto guys have no idea how many fly shops don't carry two handed fly rods.

Thanks for the help, I think you answered my question that the 9'8" single hand rod can wait. A 5/6 should handle that application until I start drift boating. I just need to try as many as I can before deciding. I do appreciate the suggestions and the advice.

Hector

Default Thanks for the kind offer

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    GrampaSpey:
    With your big Meiser, you ought to consider New England for the late summer-fall
    stripers. I have several books you can borrow if you ever consider such a trek. The
    scenery is spectacular; the fishing can be, too.
    Best to you,
    Larry S
    This fall, my trophy wife and I will be celebrating our 50th anniversary.

However, a fall trip to New England combined with checking out the fall foliage might be an option that both of us would like.

Default TCX is a thunderstick or as some call it, "The Death Star"

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Nielsen View Post
    I very much enjoy casting my Z-Axis rods as well and was pleasantly surprised by the casting of the TCX's. My 12 1/2 ft. 7wt. TCX is a thunderstick (I bought it to toss small rodents and large birds to the far side of the river) but the TCX switch rods I've cast and fished are very smooth and less demanding. They are also a bit longer than the Z-Axis which I liked for two handed casting but a bit less for one handed casting. I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts, particularly after you get a chance to cast them side my side. Kiene's has the rods, and perhaps more importantly good folks with the expertise to help you find just the right magic wand. Again, feel free to ring if you'd care to chat in detail.
    The Deathstar is definitely not a switch rod, but it is an incredible Small Spey Rod:

http://www.deneki.com/2009/11/sage-7...he-death-star/