Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fluorocarbon tippet or not?

OK. Time to move this one to the steelhead forum

Default stirring the pot

It looks like I've stirred up another hornets nest here, wasn't quite what I'd intended but as often happens when I seek to learn one small thing I end up getting more than I bargained for. Apparently I'm good at starting some pissing matches, didn't realize the controversy would turn quite so personal. Thanks for the education though, I do feel like I learned more than I'd have thought on the subject of tippet material. I'm also guessing that an awful lot of us could use an awful lot more time out on the water fishing these days
    Cheers, JB

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    It looks like I've stirred up another hornets nest here, wasn't quite what I'd intended but as often happens when I seek to learn one small thing I end up getting more than I bargained for. Apparently I'm good at starting some pissing matches, didn't realize the controversy would turn quite so personal. Thanks for the education though, I do feel like I learned more than I'd have thought on the subject of tippet material. I'm also guessing that an awful lot of us could use an awful lot more time out on the water fishing these days
    Cheers, JB
    It isn't you , Jason .

This board is looking more like the old ncffb board every day - some people here really seem to enjoy conflict , being rude , and splitting hairs so they can be 'right' . I'm guessing the same people like watching reality TV , where everyone's dysfunction is entertainment , or perhaps train wrecks ......

Sad .

D.~

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
    It isn't you , Jason .

This board is looking more like the old ncffb board every day - some people here really seem to enjoy conflict , being rude , and splitting hairs so they can be 'right' . I'm guessing the same people like watching reality TV , where everyone's dysfunction is entertainment , or perhaps train wrecks ......

Sad .

D.~
    Yeh, I completely agree. And as with the old NCFFB board, it's always the same old self appointed and self-righteous "Board Police" who feel that others are doing the wrong thing(and need to be told about it). It's the reason that board is a shadow of its former self, and the reason I don't participate any more over there.

Oh well...I guess I gotta get to 6000+ board posts somehow. (sarcasm fully intended)

Jason, next time we fish, just bring a list of questions!
    No sense stirring things up!
    I'll bring the beer.
    Oh, and the berms are gone.
    Maybe we should do a flouro clinic?

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 03-14-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Default sounds great.

Jim, lemme get this straight: I provide the endless questions and you provide the beer WOW, now that's what I call the deal of the century. Seriously though, how is the Truckee looking these days? I'm thinking it must be suffering from all this rain, otherwise I'll pack my rod in the truck now... wait, it's already in the truck!
    cheers,
    JB

JB, yep the color is starting to go. Still fishing though.
    I learned a while back, that they can't leave the water, or stop eating for long.
    Give me a holler.

Jim

Default to answer Jason's question...

Using FC may seem to other people as wasting money but if you're trying to catch educated fish with emergers and dry flies seems a smart choice. If you're nymphing, I don't think it matters but I don't like to bring different tippet spools, so I do use FC in 4x-6x. I do lube my FC knots with saliva but I really test them with the fly in my hemostat and give a constant pull to ensure I tied a good knot. Hence, never lost a good fish from a poor knot but only when the fish wrapped themselves into some junk in the stream or river.