Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Allen Fly Company

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by loganmike View Post
    My experience w them. You get what you pay for. Spend 60 now, fish it 4 times, have it shit the bed, then have the opposite type of customer service you had when buying it from them. That has been my experience. I didn't even have them replace it the service was so poor. Figured my lesson learned is enough. you want a good price reel that will last, get the orvis battenkill from the shop. That's my experience and advice.

Me
    That's funny, I have seen people post about them on other boards, and people rave about them, the personalized customer service, and the quality of the reels and now the hooks.

I just took the volume of positive reviews to be a good thing. But since I don't actually own one, yet, I can't say.

Thanks for the info...I will file it away for when I decide to order.

Default Allen reels

I own a couple of the smaller ones and really like them. Not as nice as my Ross's but a bargain in my opinion. Drags have been up to the test...how much do you need on a four wt.? I will let you know if I am ever lucky enough to really put it to the test. The customer service has been very good no complaints there. I still prefer to buy most of my stuff locally just because I like to get my hands on before I buy usually.
    just my .02 of a dollar

I have no 1st hand knowledge of the Allen reels however, looking at their site that is linked to another FF Board (& a sponsor of that board), the reels look a lot like the Asian sourced reels that were a part of the LL Bean Quest Series Combos and the Redington RedFly Combos that I use as outfits for casting students/clients. Some parts on the Redington and LL Bean reels are interchangable and no failures yet...but none have had any fish that created screaming runs into the backing either.

Paul

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pgw View Post
    I have no 1st hand knowledge of the Allen reels however, looking at their site that is linked to another FF Board (& a sponsor of that board), the reels look a lot like the Asian sourced reels that were a part of the LL Bean Quest Series Combos and the Redington RedFly Combos that I use as outfits for casting students/clients. Some parts on the Redington and LL Bean reels are interchangable and no failures yet...but none have had any fish that created screaming runs into the backing either.

Paul
    This has happened to me as well. I have Redington Crosswater reels that are completly interchangable with my Okuma Airframes, and one of the Cabela's reels was the same with them too.

I would love to see a list of cross branded, same-same reels, etc.

99.9% sure this is made overseas, I've seen the reels origins commented on other boards and have not seen the information refuted. Since Justin the owner is active on the boards and answers almost every question, if they were made in the USA I’m sure he would have said something. That being said there are not a lot of complaints out there and if you send an email he answers, normally within a day.

His new reels are looking good, LA with sealed drags. Depending on the price point it might be worth a try.

I've owned 5 of justins reels. They are indeed made over in Asia...I am pretty sure it's China. The reels are good quality and they do look nice. My reels have mostly been lighter weight reels and I've never had to put a screamer on one. Not a bad deal for the money...I got them cheaper than he offers them on his web site through another board.

I fished one of his Trout reels during a two week swing through CA, MT, and WY and caught a lot of fish and the reel performed perfectly. If you want a good deal on a decent Asian reel go for it. I've got a Trout 5/7 I'll sell for half what he asks on the web site...and I have a Trout 3/5 I'd sell too. I have gone to using almost exclusively Bauer reels. By perusing the bay and message boards I've been able to acquire 3 of those for what a new one would cost. And my wife (I am a lucky guy) gave me a brand new MSL 2 for Christmas. Anyway - the Allen reels are a good deal for what they are. My only complaint is they are so smooth that when stripping line off the reel it back lashes often. That may be my fault though.
    Last edited by Rich Morrison; 03-14-2011 at 05:27 PM.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

I bought line from him two were perfect on the grain scale the other two were 3 and one a 4 wt when i requested a 5 and a 6 called him had new lines in a few days even returned my phone call that day. he has a new line of reels coming out look cool not as nice as some I own but hell for 60 bucks cant get to much more for the price very budget oriented. I was happy with keeping the unweight lines too. justin is trying very hard.

Whats the magic word I gotta say to find these for $60? Am I missing something?

Sign up for the email list he has sales from time to time, like this http://www.allenflyfishing.com/products/xl-series-reel