Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shoulder Injury

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    Okay, I guess I'll have to point out the elephant in the living room here.

After all these worse case scenarios I'm hesitant to point this out, but here goes.

Jet, it's possible that casting from a tube, giving it that extra shoulder motion, you tweaked a muscle. It happens. It goes away after a few days and you learn to adjust your stroke when casting from a tube.

Sometimes it's not a million dollar problem.

I apologize to all you internet doctors out there.

Ed
    Hopefully it is just a strained muscle....... nevertheless, "frozen shoulder" can develop from any strain or serious injury to the shoulder. It is symptomatic to people 35+ years of age that have a lot of wear and tear to their shoulders.....

In summary, once the muscle inflamation subsides and you feel pretty good, that is time to begin the simple exercises to prevent "frozen shoulder". The best is to screw in an eye hook into your ceiling, attach pulley, then run a rope through the pulley, then attach a handle on each end. Sit under pulley and pull one arm up with the other.... back and forth. You get a good thorough stretch of the shoulder....

Take it from someone that had both shoulders freeze up; one after the other.... it took the better part of two years to loosen both up and a lot of painful PT sessions inbetween..... Next to hand injuries, the shoulder is the second most painful... ask any PT....

15 years of highly competitive volleyball, basketball, tennis, and baseball/softball caught up with me...... The kicker were all those days shad fishing at the Log Hole with that 'right shoulder wind'.... aka "delta breeze".

Regards.

Joe I forgot about the boat......since you are healing for a short while it might be wise to "store" it at my house.
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    Okay, I guess I'll have to point out the elephant in the living room here.

After all these worse case scenarios I'm hesitant to point this out, but here goes.

Jet, it's possible that casting from a tube, giving it that extra shoulder motion, you tweaked a muscle. It happens. It goes away after a few days and you learn to adjust your stroke when casting from a tube.

Sometimes it's not a million dollar problem.

I apologize to all you internet doctors out there.

Ed

That is possible - even though it doesn't sound like it; home treatment would still be the same though; rest and ice, NSAIDS (ibuprofen); until a doctor looks at it. Don't be too concerned if a doc does not request an MRI at all no less arthrograms with a bag of dye, or denies it if you ask - that could be a good sign, that you aren't badly hurt enough to need it.

Simple... Go see a good orthopedic. Who cares what a bunch of hacks have to say. This is your body and your future. What is said here has no bearing on your case, however well intended. You may read something that assures you, but that has no real effect on your injury. Go see a doc, there's a reason they spend those years in med school.My experience proves that they can save you agony and put you back in the game. Good luck..