Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta Settlement....

Question Next Step....

I read Dave's assessment of the situation on Blantons BB before Mike's on this one. I like Mikes better (tho they're close to the same)....

At any rate, there's an article in todays SacBee that says the State Water Plan is a done deal before the proposed election in 2012. The author makes a convincing case and tends to support my feeling about Moyle moving towards a compromise (political) position. Probably not much choice when trying to deal with two co-equal goals established for the Delta. Check it out:

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/02/27/343...r-plan-is.html

Nothing the author has written is unreasonable. As the former governator said, he didn't need an election to complete the canal. Only the money and it appears that he had it all along.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Hey Darian...

It'll be a long time before the "Canal" or anything else is "built" ...
    Lots of lawsuits in the pipeline! I don't know why our political Dunderhead's can't figure out that they represent the people not the special interests like Resnick..The whole process will be a huge waste of resources ( both natural and financial!)

Mike

Unhappy Politics....

Mike,.... You hit the nail on the head. "The whole process will be a huge waste of resources ( both natural and financial!)".
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Mike,.... You hit the nail on the head. "The whole process will be a huge waste of resources ( both natural and financial!)".

It's disgusting and pathetic, really. There are a few countries I can think of off the top of my head that shake their heads at this situation. It makes no sense to them and such waste would not be tolerated, etc.

Just sad.

I suspect the reasoning behind some of the changes on behalf of the expert scientists are tied into the politcal aspect of researching in the area of aquatic systems in CA. Water is so political here, sometimes its hard to really solve the problems without jeopardizing your future funding chances. Agriculture and other interests have a lot of financial interest in the matter, and in some cases control the funding to a lot of the proposals and grants out there for research. Going around and pointing fingers at them as gross polluters and such only gets you blacklisted.

Also, as stated, one of the most important things we have to look at is the state of our current aquatic ecosytems. Exotic species or not, the natural hydrograph, especially in the central valley, basically no longer exists. Our native species are living in an environment they are not adapted for, or evolved to live in, let alone the added competition.

Without a major effort to actually restore a more natural hydrograph, there isn't much hope for many of our native species, salmonids especially. One thing that people could really try for on any stream with steelhead or salmon, is to try and get it designated as a cold water system. These systems have more stringent regulations regarding bare minimum flows and such, versus warm water systems and greatly increase the odds of survival for some of our natives.

Thumbs up Funding Sources....

Speaking of funding sources, members of Congress (one in California in particular) are attempting to defund any effort to restore the Delta, Salmon restoration and the Klamath Dam removal project.

I realize the proposed defunding isn't law yet but when considered with the PPIC report (urging no restrictions on water usage for CA Agri), The Delta Settlement, pronouncements by scientists about potential extinction of some fish species and the support for a peripheral canal and/or tunnel for water diversions by the same scientists, it's really easy to think that nothing's gonna slow down the big-ag juggernaut.

Better get used to fishing in concrete lined canals/reservoirs. Lotsa Black Bass/Stripers in reservoirs down south.

Author unknown

Default Money so they say is the root of all evil today but if you ask for a rise...

IT'S NO SURPRISE THAT THEY'RE GIVING NONE AWAY...

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

There's nothing 'special' about special interest politics.

I'm disgusted to yet another, deeper layer but as Mike and a few others pointed out, it is not yet all said and done and so fight onward we must.

><)));> , , , , , ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The LAST War will be fought over Water....

Arrow Water Wars....

Frank,.... The scary part is that your prediction is probably more accurate than you might think.

Author unknown