Thread: Rogue River question

Default Rogue River question

I will be in Oregon the last week of March. Some friends have a fishing trip planned for me on the Rogue. What can I expect that time of year. It was kind of a gift so I just accepted and didn't ask too many questions. Looking forward and hope it wont be raining.

In late March there should be plenty of steelhead in the Upper Rogue from Tu Ville up to Lost Creek Dam. Depending on the winter it might be too high to fish. Look for flows from 1000 to 2500 cfs for decent fly fishing. About 85% of the winter run is comprised of wild fish.
    Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR

awesome!!!!!

Default Rouge fishing early March?

OK, My trip dates have changed to the first week of March. What is in the Rouge (Medford area) during that time? Are the flows still too high then? Also any good guide recomendations would be appreciated. Thanks

Default Rogue River Levels

I will be in the Upper Rogue area in a week or so...can someone tell me what river gauge is recommended to watch for the area from Touvelle to Shady Cove and what levels should I look for to swing?

Thanks

Anything in the low to mid 2000s is good. But honestly, flow is not what makes this river more popular for indicators. It's a tailwater fishery where water flows may be regulated, but temperatures are always seasonally cool--particularly in the late spring and fall when the fish are in greatest abundance--and it has the absolute opposite, in terms of structure, of the even flow hydraulics that inspired swininging as a technique. If you want to swing, head downstream about 100 miles--the lower river is a great place to swing for winters. If you are going to fish the upper river, and insist on swinging, than flows really don't matter as the results are generally going to be the same regardless.