Thread: Skwalas on the Yuba?

Default Skwalas on the Yuba?

Has anyone seen any Skwala activity on the Yuba? Hopefuly they didn't get washed away with the recent high flows.

Floated Friday and didn't see any. Usually not until late January early feb.

Thanks Hogan....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

bit 2 early.

Thanks for the info fellas, guess I am a little antsy!!! These high flows are starting to get to me.

Chris

Default Skwala

Picked up a 1-1/4" nymph on 1/6.

Smile game on!

The bugs are there! One of our scouts was there on Wednesday and counted close to 40 skwalas. If your not looking for them then you probably wont see them. The fish were not looking for them yet.... Don't let the flows keep you away. "3000 is high, but the bank is still there and hasn't changed."

good luck
    thekid

Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    The bugs are there! One of our scouts was there on Wednesday and counted close to 40 skwalas. If your not looking for them then you probably wont see them.
    thekid
    Skwala have been around for at couple of weeks. They're holding tight to the tips if the highest willows. They're only moving and on the wing when it gets warm - and it hasn't been very warm. Nymphs are active though, fish tight to the edges. With these flows thats where you should be fishing anyway.Roll your fly off the wet rocks into inches of water then let them drift.

Turn over some rocks along the bank , many times i have fished the Yuba and the adults were hiding there , yet no were visible elsewhere . If i found adults under the rocks , i try one on top even if none are on the water , brush or rocks .

People around here think i am nuts for using grasshopper patterns in April or may , But its amazing how many ''BIG'' fish just can't resist a big fat bug , even early . Once the water starts to warm they just can't help themselves , they have been sitting along the bottom lethargic all winter and are hungry, and i am more than willing to oblige .