Thread: December birds

Default December birds

I had my camera in the truck and was near some decent birding areas so I took a walk with the camera. Man do I stink! I really need to invest some time with my buddy whos a wildlife photographer and learn some stuff. I learned that all those hawks you see hanging out along roads while cars go wizzing by, fly off the instant you stop and show interest in them.

A great number of the shots I took were useless. The rest are just barely worth a glance. But I am really having fun with it anyway. I love a challange in which the results are the gift of a beautiful image.

Heres a few from today that are barely worth a glance.

As I pulled into my driveway I look up and see this little kestrel on the wire!

Cool pictures Jay! Can't help but notice that kestrel looks like it has some useful feathers.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Look at the facial expression of the hawk in the first photo. "Hey, is that a camera that dudes pointing?"

Jay, anyone who can take the time for a Nuthatch is top notch in my book. I stop and watch them anytime I get the chance.

Don't sell yourself short those are some excellent bird shots, as usual.

Hey Mike, I rescued an injured Kestrel once. Weird, that little bird could stare all the way through your eyes to the back of your head. On first seeing it, everyone took a step back, including me.

Ed
    Last edited by Ed Wahl; 12-17-2010 at 11:54 PM.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Thumbs up Photo's....

Love photo's of birds. Raptors seem so professorial.... Just think how many new birds you're going to be able to photograph in Wisconsin.... Looking forward to seeing them.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks guys. I do appreciate the compliments. I spent the afternoon at Curtis' house talking photography. He whipped out his new telephoto lense. This thing was GIGANTIC. I think you could pass a soccer ball thru the lense hood. It had to weigh 20lbs. He told me the price and it was at that moment I knew I will always remain a recreational photo hack. If I ever have that kind of money to spend, Ill buy a nice boat.

Darian. You read my mind. Ive already been google searching wisconsin birds. Should be a fun new adventure!

Default birds

Good job jbird. You need to keep posting those photos when you get back to the
    MidWest. Cardinals,bluebirds, orioles, etc. Grouse along the streams.
    Best, Larry S

Im working on a car door mount so I can capture roadside photos quickly and with no vibration, which should equal some sharper images. In the mean time, Im headed to Wisconsin tonight for Christmas. I get to see my wife!!!!!!!!

I may shoot a little while Im there if the conditions allow.

Default Great shots

Don't sell ur self short. those are some great pix!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Brett Humphries
    http://www.hillcountryflyfishing.com
    512-47zero-6886