Thread: TFO two-handed conversion

Default TFO two-handed conversion

I happen to own a 9 foot, 8 wt TFO rod and they offer a converion kit to make an 11' 3" two-handed rod. Does anyone on the board have experience with this set up? Is it a good 'starter' rod for an angler who would like to give two-handed casting a season-long trial before going whole hog with high-end rod. Any suggestions for fly lines to use with this set up would be appreciated, but please keep suggestions remedial, I barely know what 'sink tip' means.
    Thanks
    Kurt

Yeah, I have the system. It makes a good switch rod and 2 hand overhead rod. It has a very fast action (since you are still essentially casting a TiCrx) I think its an excellent system, but I think a lot of guys...especially beginners...benefit from a softer rod than this for two hand casting.

Default TiCr X Conversion

I'm brining this back up since UPS just delivered the conversion kit this week. I have the 7 wt. and have a question on lines for this set up. I cast a Rio 9 wt pike line on it and it did OK, maybe a little light, for overhead but nothing for spey. My next casting quest is to check a 10 - 11 wt. I think being a faster action rod it may take a 10 wt. line. I guess I'll be using it for mostly overhead on rivers and surf. If I go spey, it will most likely result in yet another rod purchase (14 footer). Does anyone else have this convert?, and what lines do you run for what situation. I don't want to blow $75 each on lines that wont work. I'm in the Fresno area and we do not have a "Fly Shop" where I can go to test lines.

Thanks,
    Tim

Default conversion rod lines

I custom build 700 lines a year, mostly for Bob Meiser. We have a process that we go thru that creates a "RECIPE" for every rod, intended purpose and caster's preference. If you would like to call me so that I can ask you a string of questions, we could probably create a recipe, then build a line for your situation. "the magic is in the match"
    steve 541-840-2594

Quote Originally Posted by SPG View Post
    I custom build 700 lines a year, mostly for Bob Meiser. We have a process that we go thru that creates a "RECIPE" for every rod, intended purpose and caster's preference. If you would like to call me so that I can ask you a string of questions, we could probably create a recipe, then build a line for your situation. "the magic is in the match"
    steve 541-840-2594
    Steve, when are you going to have your own line? Maybe a long belly, made by say rio?

Default long belly

The quanities for a production run at RIO will not be financially practical. Not enough interest in long belly lines. I am working on a production run of front tapers that allow me to marry them up to the SGS as a driver which have made awesome custom spey lines for mid and long lines. Call me if you are interested in a proto type line suited to your style. steve 541-840-2594
    Last edited by SPG; 11-01-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling