Thread: Ultimate wood pram

Default Ultimate wood pram

Hi guys, I am a new member of this forum but I was a regular fixture of Bills shop for several years starting in the late 90s. Sadly I haven't been fishing much in the last few years. But I have been able to resist the pressure to sell off the thousands of dollars of rods, reels fly boxes waders etc. I keep telling myself that when the time is right I will dust off my favorite rod and go fishing again. The one thing that I am thinking of selling is my pram. This is not an easy choice. I bought it though spring creek about 1997/98. It was fully assembled and sealed with a rough coat of marine epoxy (ready to paint).
    It took me all winter to sand, apply, sand, apply, sand you get the idea. I finally quit after appying another coat of epoxy and three coats of high grade spar varnish. Then I tricked it out with two anchors and 4 oar lock to hold any position I wanted to cast from. I made leather straps to hold my rods fully rigged. I cut outdoor carpet so I could step on my line without damaging it. I added a Ram mounting system on the stern to hold a Side finder or a camera to take pictures of my self with that huge fish. Even though I bought the dolly with the boat I added the flip down wheels to help launch over rough terrain. I even made a cup holder out of leather straps. The boat turned out beautiful. My favorite place to use it was lake Manzanita in Lassen NP. I dreamed of using it to float the Fall River but sadly never did. everywhere I take it people seem to be drawn to comment on it. Taking pictures of it this week in my front yard a guy stopped his truck to share his stories of wood boats. It has always been a source of great pride. I may have just talked myself out of selling it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15.jpg 
Views:	725 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	2207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28.jpg 
Views:	766 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	2208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32.jpg 
Views:	791 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	2209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	2210   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	783 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	2211  

Default Don't sell it Rich

First off, welcome to the board. It's kind of like an extension of Bill's shop when a bunch of fishermen are hanging around yakking.

Let me second your second thoughts. That is one of the prettiest prams I've seen. Keep it 'til you absolutely have to sell it.

We've got a number of lakes within a couple hours of here, some closer, where that beauty can be put to work.

The American right here in town is rather pram friendly too. Chasing stripers from a pram is a hoot.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

That is not a pram, it is a small yacht. That is one beautiful little yacht.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Absolutely spectacular! I'd take that up to the Wooden Boat Show at Tahoe if I were you. You'd be very highly regarded.
    "Someone just back of you while you are fishing is just as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you are writing a letter to your girl." - E. Hemingway

Default Wood Pram

Thanks for the compliments. I did think about The Tahoe boat show as a place to sell it. The funny thing is I think I had more fun finishing it and tricking it out than I have had using it. I bought the 10ft model thinking that my (infant at the time) daughter would go fishing with me. I only got her in it once. She is thirteen now and I don't think she can cast and text at the same time.

Thumbs up Prams....

I'm a fan of prams of any type but this one's spectacular. IMO keep the pram, get a good dog and go fishing (anywhere). You'll both be happy.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Rich,

Incredible boat...

Don't sell the gear. After 12 years of lots and lots of kid related time, I've finally decided I need to fish more. My gear still cathces fish even though it's a little dated.

JW

I agree that's an absulute keeper. If you're not convinced, let me know and I'll try to find my wife in a weak moment!

Steve

Default Going to sell

I want to thank all of you for your feedback and your encouragement to keep the the pram. But it's sad that it hasn't seen any water for over a year. Even though I can use the money, it really needs a good home. Putting a price on it has been tough, But $2,500. I think is a fair price. When I added up just out of pocket expenses thats pretty close. The hull alone was over a thousand, not counting shipping and handling. Besides the hull, the price includes the Sawyer wood oars, The stainless steel transport dolly, Two anchor "Pocket Pullers", Two anchors, Bottom Line "Side Finder", Ram mounting system with adapters for the side finder and camera, and the waterproof Canon camera.