Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: McCloud River Future in your hands

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post

I'm no great fan of westlands but as far as being a group that doesn't farm, that's incorrect. The board members of westlands are, in the main, very wealthy growers from their water district. They use some water for farming and sell any excess from their annual allocation. as do all farmers, even those in northern California. Plenty to discuss in the arena of subsidies but lets not get carried away with the name calling....
    Have you researched Westlands Darian? How much practically worthless salty land they own just to get subsidized water? The evil politics they have engaged in?

Thumbs up Westlands....

OS,.... If by research you mean have I looked up the articles of incorporation, read up on their organizational structure, read available news articles and the cash subsidies databases, read about how much land they have under cultivation, written to and discussed related issues with my legislators (federal & state), then yes, I have looked into Westlands. So, does that satisfy your curiosity.

From my perspective, there's entirely too much emotion expressed on this BB about Westlands and, in the main, based on their purchase of the land along the McCloud. That action is but one small inconvenience to a small special interest group who feel their fishing entitlement on that river is threatened. C'mon OS.... Admit it. You wouldn't even care about what Westlands was doing if they hadn't made that purchase.

As I've said before, I'm no fan of Westlands but make no mistake, they are an effective organization. If you have any intentions of opposing their initiatives, a little objective analysis or observation would be best. Name calling is ineffective and reduces your credibility....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    OS,....
    From my perspective, there's entirely too much emotion expressed on this BB about Westlands and, in the main, based on their purchase of the land along the McCloud. That action is but one small inconvenience to a small special interest group who feel their fishing entitlement on that river is threatened. C'mon OS.... Admit it. You wouldn't even care about what Westlands was doing if they hadn't made that purchase.

The actions of Westland effect salmon and steelhead, the fact that they purchased the McCoud property to help facilitate the raising of shasta dam is just salt in a wound. Anyone who loves anadromous fish should care greatly about the actions of westlands, regardless of the mccloud situation. Westlands water has been on the radar of environmentally conscious anglers far before the bollibokka purchase. That is what makes the Fly Shop deal so deplorable.
    Last edited by huntindog; 09-21-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Default Emotion....

Huntindog,.... I guess no amount of pain is enough for you. Nobody here is making excuses for or says Westlands doesn't cause problems. Get over it!!!
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

"get over it" REALLY? No i wont get over it, EVER. I wont get over the fact that Westlands diverts the majority of the Trinity river, I will not get over the fact that the Delta is in a state of catastrophe due largely to water diversions so westlands can take subsidized water and make billions selling it further south. I will not get over the fact that this year there was a grand total of 2 spring run salmon in Big Chico Creek. I will not get over the fact that wild salmon in the sacramento river system are bordering on extinctiion. I will not get over the fact that Westlands spends millions of dollars each year fighting to make sure the above mentioned problems are never fixed.
    Last edited by huntindog; 09-21-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Pardon me - I dunno what the OP wants us to support:

-post a link to what this flow schedule is (there are hundreds of comments on the FERC website) before asking anyone to support it.