Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light wt. Rod ?

Nice Brown Rob

I love my 4wt rod for a specialized lighter trout rod. A 4wt has enough power to quickly land a wide size range of trout. A 4wt is light enough to feel the smaller fish and also enjoy a deep bend when you hook a fish over 14".

The trout above was caught with Gregg's 7'6" 3wt Echo rod. It was tired after Gregg netted the fish but not exhausted. That trout swam off just fine, it did not hang around or simply slide into the water and glide.

I would have enjoyed the fight more and landed the fish sooner if the loop to loop connection of my 12' leader was not hanging up in the guides making the landing difficult.

I enjoyed the light tackle, but I would have prefered my 4wt over the 3wt.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

If you know how to apply pressure similar to what Bill describes you should have no trouble landing relativley large fish on a light rod. Generally with a light rod you are using somewhat light tippet and I would say that you can apply enough pressure with any rod to break the tippet you are using so the limiting factor is not the rod but the tippet. If you apply pressure to just under the breaking strength of th tippet you should be able to land a fish relatively quickly.

I fish spring creeks (mostly Silver Creek) as much as I can and often use a 2 wt and never feel undergunned.

Default Light Rod's

Thanks for the info everyone.

I try to put as much pressure as I can on a fish. 4x tippet is as light as I use on the yuba with dries and 2x - 3x with streamers. When fighting a fish I try to aim my fly rod down stream and toward the bank. My boys and I have been flyfishing for around 6 years now. When we first started we kept and ate a lot of fish, but know we keep 4-5 fish a year . The only time we keep more fish is on our Trinity Alps backpacking trip we go on every fall. The lake we go to is full of Brook trout. I have gained such love and respect for the trout we fish for.

Here are a few photo's of the Trinity Alps.

Take care.
    Rob .

Rob - nothing quite like a pan fried brookie from a high mountain lake - I have been going to the Trinities since the early 70's and truly love the area!!!

Very nice photos!!!!

Best regards,
    Rick J

Default Trinity Alps

Rick.
    I'm with You. The Trinity Alps is the most beautiful place I have ever gone. My boy and I have gone backpacking there 7 times. We go in August or the first of September. I also like to Bow hunt with Traditional bows. Cody ,Jason and I use Recurve Bows and my buddy uses a longbow . So we Flyfish and bowhunt the week we go.

Here are a few more photo's from are Alps trip .The Sunset is Cody With his Bow .