Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stripers in the surf

This site gives you an idea what the water looks like.

http://www.pedropoint.com/pacificacam/index.shtml

Water was nice the last couple days but no fish yet.

I would love to try some fly fishing in the surf. I have caught a few stripers while shad fishing and have made one trip to the delta for stripers, but have never tried the surf. If there is anyone who fishes the surf near Half Moon Bay and would be willing to invite me along, I would be happy to bring along some food and beverages for a little instruction. Please send me a PM. Thanks!

Thumbs up Pillar Point....

jj,.... Many years ago, I used to fish off the break wall (if the surf wasn't up) and caught Stripers there when the tide was dropping. They were all taken in the current where the entrance between the two break walls is located. Some on fly's, some on Kastmasters. If you like rock species, try some poke polling out there, too.

If you try this, be careful, the rocks are slimy and larger waves can sneak up on you.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

If you're fishing off rocks that are or may get wet, be safe and wear korkers! Slippery rocks are killer.

Back east, jetty fishing requires korkers all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by inclinejj View Post
    This site gives you an idea what the water looks like.

http://www.pedropoint.com/pacificacam/index.shtml

Water was nice the last couple days but no fish yet.
    I miss home, thanks Jim.
    www.calfish.net. Catch & release for my kids & yours.www.calsport.org.

Default Map of surf in Bay Area

I am putting a link that allows you to look at various beaches along the coast.
    http://www.surfline.com/surfdata/rep...le.cfm?id=5089

You can navigate this link to San Francisco and even Monterey. They are currently (as of June 2010) working on the access road to a good beach area in the Marin Headlands; next year check out the area bewteen Pt. Bonita nd Point Diablo. I f you like a good walk the area bewteen Lime Point and Point Diablo has a value. This latter spot is accessible now. The Baker Beach area looks good on south spot. Now, in the early 70's I fished the China Beach and beach under the Golf Course with poppers and giant pikies. The fishing sometiimes was spectacular - Curt Gowdy could not have found better fishing.
    I view catching a striper here on a fly as a novelty, unless you were in a boat on a real calm day.
    Now, there is a way to get good striper fly fishing in GG area. One time around 1970 in late May while I was fishing with jigs from shore from North side inside lime point, I saw a fly fisherman catch several nice ones (15lb plus). I asked one of the Santa Rosa/Russian River crowd at Smith River, who could this be. They thought it could be the legendary Russ Chatham.
    Also, I met a guy 10 years ago who was launching a Zodiac at Coast Guard area under the north side of bridge and he would go outside the gate to these beaches, land on the beach and fish with the modern swim baits.
    Well, 2 people could take turns casting from the boat toward the rocky areas on these beaches.
    This same boat technique could work inside the bridge on SF side.
    One thing good about the Bay Area is that the fish hit almost all the time - not like the American River where the big ones have lock jaw. There you can get what you see. They hit.
    Larry

If you are interested in flyfishing Monterey Bay for stripers, I would suggest Moss Landing to Palm Beach, although the stripers are spread out up and down the bay. Zmudowski State beach would be a good place too start. Monterey County does not reguire an annual pass or day fee to park. Santa Cruz County does. Head towards the Pajaro river mouth. The Jack Smelt are coming in to spawn now, so look for the trenches between the sandbars.

Default Smudowsky Beach

I agree. The mouth at Pajaro River has a deep area at high tide that is on the Monterey side of River. But in the evening it is windy. So no breakers in this spot at high tide, but there is wind.

I saw a strange catch of a 25lb in 1986 near the Monterey Dunes condos(just north) . At the bottom of a minus tide, a guy caught this fish in 2 feet of water on a sand crab. I could not believe this. I caught nothing on poppers. So somebody could have fly fished in that spot easily. I never caught anything on a minus tide. The new power pro 30lb test (8 lb diameter) might make minus tide fishing more interesting for spin casters.

I believe the sheltered beaches in GG area offer the best chance for a striper on a fly in surf. Not much wind problem. If you can go with a guy who casts poppers; he'll find out if there are fish in the area. WHen he gets a follow or boil, start fly casting. Also, if off a rock it is possible to bring in a pod of stripers (or even a whole school). A hooked fidh sometimes has others next to it.
    I like giving out this info because it makes me think of the good old days.

Larry
    Larry