Thread: Boat Storage

Default Boat Storage

I've never owned a boat, but I'm getting the itch. I'm currently on the lookout for something that I can use mainly on lakes and the Delta...ideally a 18ish footer with a center console. My problem is storage. I've got a long driveway that I can use but then the boat will be left outside year-round. Is this a horrible option? Like I said, I've never owned a boat so I'm not sure how much exposure they are designed for. If leaving it outside isn't an option, am I left with renting space at a storage facility? Any other options or ideas? Not everyone has an empty garage, so what do you guys do? Thanks in advance!

-Ben

Question Indoor/Outdoor Storage....

I have a 17' Fisher bass boat that I store in the driveway. It's covered at all times until the day of use or maintenance. Haven't had any problems so far. Boat covers can be expensive (up to $200.00) or as little as $40.00 (plastic tarp). None of the tarps I've used (expensive or not) hold up well while being towed. That might be because they weren't properly tied down, tho. Don't forget to leave the drainage plug out when in dry storage....

One thing I learned the hard way is that unless a cover is tied down very tight around the edges and elevated from stem to stern, by rope or frame (like a tent), it will sag during rainy periods and create a bathtub inside the hull. I had to siphon a couple of times before I figured out a solution.

Of course, if you have the option of building a car port for the boat, I would think that would even be better.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I store my 19' aluminium center console in my driveway. I have two custom covers and put one over the other in the winter. Heavy rains would occasionally cause some serious water pooling in the stern area despite the covers being pulled taught. So out I go in the pouring rain to bucket out the water.
    To remedy this, I made a simple self supporting "A" frame out of 1" PVC that runs a bit longer than the length of the boat. Most joints were not glued so it can easilily be disassembled and stored in the garage. It only has to be high enough to have a sufficient slope to shed water quickly. I also raise the trailer tongue a couple of feet. Drain plug out.

The good thing about keeping your boat in the driveway is you can always see it and reflect on how much enjoyment you've got from owning it. The only bad part is seeing the damn thing sitting in the driveway all the time.

If you do buy a towable cover, bite the $$ bullet and get a good one.

Of course, another possible option is to knock down part of your fence and store it in the backyard under a cover of some sort. I know a number of folks in our neighborhood have chosen this route, and it especially works well for those who live on a corner so that they can access their backyard from the side through a gate, rather than creating a lane up their front yard, which a few have also done. At any rate, if workable, it keeps the boat out of the driveway and provides for the possibility of a more permanent overhead shelter of some sort.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.