Thread: Rain vs. The T

Default Rain vs. The T

Quick report from this past weekend (actually, Sat 1/23 - Tue 1/26) on the T.

4 anglers for 10 total angler-days of effort - 6 angler-days of bank fishing, and 4 angler-days of drifts (2 drift days were Mon., Tues.; two anglers per drift.) Both drift and bank days were about 10 hours of fishing effort per day (driving time included for bank days).

Angling effort was a mix of indicator nymphing and swing presentations.

Excepting Saturday, angling effort was entirely above DC due to water color and flow conditions.

Only 1 steelhead from the bank, and 5 to the boat on drift days, with about 4 more dropped - 3 out of 4 anglers got "blanked from the bank" for the trip ... covering essentially all of the foot-accessible water from DC to Lewiston. (Pretty much every place you can think of, we covered it.)

4 or more browns were C&R'ed, about half of which came on the swing. 1 adult steelhead was taken on a swung tube fly, and a couple more grabs missed on the swing as well.

In 3 days, I managed 1 brown, 1 sucker, and 1 steelhead - my PB, a huge beat up old hatchery buck, estimated at 35-36" (17-20 lbs?). The best angler in our group landed zero steelhead in four days of fishing (he had about four fish "on" during his drift day, but LDR'ed all of them - talk about frustration!).

TFS had three boats on the river Monday, and eight boats on Tuesday - all of them launching at Bucktail or further upriver. Talk about a crowd... that count does not include non-TFS boats, who were also up in the same reach. Rather a surprise, that many boats midweek. I guess even midweek in January is getting crowded on the T, and having everyone forced to the top compounds the problem of pressured water. (Although I only saw one other bank angler not from our group in 3 days of fishing).

We had high hopes that the rain would enervate the fish - both the rains in the prior week, and what fell during the angling days (Sun/Mon) ... above DC, as much as 600 cfs was coming in to the T from side creeks, and the color was in the favor of the angler - no worse than about 4' of visibility (depending on location and day), a sort of greenish/tan color.

The flows were high enough that we didn't have our choice of reaches on the river; I suppose that things could have been very different for this trip with slightly less rain, and a couple more reaches to choose from.

That's steelhead angling!

tim

Tim-
    Welcome to the boards!Sounds like you ran into some winter steelhead conditions.I am not surprised by your results as it seems the winter run is mostly wild fish and I would imagine that many of them headed into there spawning tribs with the high water.As far as the crowds no surprise here either as the T has been the only fishable steelhead river in the north coast besides the Smith.Funny how rain is either a blessing or a curse.Like you said it's steelhead fishing.

Jay

.....they might be the only game in town if you prefer to fish unstained water. Hard to have confidemce fishing mud soup untill you hook a hot bright fish in it. (ear to ear grin).