Thread: Casting Preferences...

Default Casting Preferences...

I understand that this may be impossible to answer but... do rod preferences for a single handed rod carry over to rod preferences in a two handed rod? For example, if you have a casting stroke and preference for a really stiff single handed rod, will you tend to do better with a really stiff two handed rod?

I'm beginning to put out my feelers on a 12'6" 6 wgt. I'm trying to figure out what I should be looking at first... Don't say the z-axis sage... I already know that price tag is out of my reach. Not happy about that but it is a fact of life.

Also... if a rod is really dialed in for a Skagit line, will it work as well with a Scandi? I'm probably guessing that each rod will probably prefer one type vs. the other.

What do you guys think?
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

I don't necessarily think that rod preferences carry over from single handers to two handers. Some people like fast single handers for casting in the wind or for saltwater fishing but may prefer a medium action rod for spey casting with skagit lines, big flies, and heavy tips. A lot of it depends on the type of load that feels good to you in a two handed rod. The type of line you are going to use also plays a key role.

There are a number of good rods on the market that cast well with both skagit and scandi setups. Then there are also other rods out there such as Winstons and Burkheimers that have a more progressive action and cans cast skagits, scandis, and long belly spey lines very well. I don't want to confuse you here, but you want to pick out a rod based on where you might fish, the type of lines you want to use, and if the action of the rod fits your stroke.

That being said, since you mentioned you are looking at 12'6" #6, here are a few to consider.

Beulah Platinum 6126
    Echo TR 6126
    Anderson Explorer 6126
    Sag Z-Axis 6126

All four rods are at different price points and all are great casting rods with most scandi and skagit shooting heads. Hope this helps.

JH
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Ok, that's what I was thinking. Now for the next question... when you are trying to figure out which two handed rod you are going to spend your hard earned coin on. Do you go out into the parking lot to fling line or is this a "take a trip down the the American" deal? Flinging line in the parking lot may be ok for a single handed rod but how do you simulate a water loading cast without water? Just trying to think this through...
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

to really get a feel for the rod you do need to get to water to play with them - overhead casting in a parking lot can give you an idea how it will load and react but you likely need to use a lighter grain line for overhead casting than for spey casts as overhead casting will make the rod load deeper with the same line. If there is any grass around, you can use a grass leader to get an idea on how it loads with spey casts but still nothing like being on the water

It is my experience as a custom rod builder and my involvement in graphite engineering that yes, most casters that prefer a particular style in single hand, have a similar preference in 2 hand casting. I do not consider however the term "stiff" to be part of a style category, it discribes power, and with a big enough line or enough acceleraton, the any rod will not be stiff. Style comes down to which part of the rod flexes when put under the load of a casting stroke. Scandi rods are fast, tippy and bend more in the top section. The best rods for skagit, if you are truly casting in the sustained anchor, continous load scenario, are rods that have "stiff" tips (to lift heavy lines out) and full flexing butt sections so that you can feel and adjust to the loading. In a nutshell the best scandi rods have "stiff" butts and soft tips, the best skagit rods have "stiff tips" and soft butts. Both rod styles can be real performers when matched to the right line.
    The magic is in the match. steve