Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trinity Gill Nets in the News

History is littered with who occupied the land first isn't the present owner. I'm certain, unless your an illegal alien, you'd claim the United States of America as your country... but you weren't here first (unless you are a Native American). I claim it as mine, and I wasn't. I guess I just don't get your argument. And just because I belive something doesn't belong to someone, doesn't me I need to, or should fight for it; I simply don't believe it belongs to whomever has it, the end.

I have a basic understanding of how gill nets work and have personally seen then in use on the Klamath. The fish is trapped by the gills as it attempts escape, and essentially drowns if given enough time in entrapment. Bug, are you saying steelhead are caught in these nets and what?, die and are simply discarded as a casualty of salmon netting? The picture in my mind is getting worse...
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Ron,.... I re-read my post and see that I probably confused everyone. I was referring to rights on the reservation. I need to follow my own advice and make clear explanations....

You are correct. Nobody owns all of the fish or all of the river. The tribes do seem to be able to influence management of the entire river system, tho. For example, they were able to restore relatively stable flows to the Trinity River below the dam thru litigation. A second example is the system of allocations currently in place.
    Got it!
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Default Drift Nets

Bug, are you saying steelhead are caught in these nets and what?, die and are simply discarded as a casualty of salmon netting? The picture in my mind is getting worse...

From the limited netting I have seen. The net is drifted through a pool. The net has buoys on top and lead weights on the bottom. One end of the net is placed near the rock edge of the pool and the other is pulled out the length of the net towards the center of the river. Each end of the net is pulled through the pool by a row boat. Any fish in the pool are snagged in the net. At this point the fish are removed from the net and bonked on the head the same as any commercial or sport fishing boat. Steelhead and salmon are kept at this time. The only steelie reg I have seen by the Yurok fishery management plan is that they are not allowed to sell wild steelies. They have a commercial allowance and regulations. Commercial netting is distinguished by a special colored buoy. Sustenance fishing is not monitored much. If a silver salmon is caught it is released. These are the only fish off limits. If the regs are changed maybe the steelies will be released as well.

I have read the Fly fishing Usa articles where nets are supposed to be strung all the way across the river. They sound like fixed nets which I have yet to see. If monitored, as they are supposed to be, the steelies could be released

Did you mean to say, "NOT supposed to be strung all across the river"? Because according to this article, if I read it correctly, nets are only to occupy 1/3 of the river, and not be strung all the way across (assuming 1/3 means 1/3 of the width of the river?). Just wanting clarification.

I have personally not seen nets drifted through pools. I have seen them stationary in the Klamath estuary and upriver, supported by styrofoam or plastic floats. Some, unattended for the duration of my presence (an hour or so). Can't imagine how a fish can survive that length of time being entrapped by a gill net and unable to move.

On a side note, I have seen nets laid almost completely across the mouth of the Bogachiel River in WA, unattended.

Default Gill nets

I believe that the Native Americans do have a right to take fish from the river.
    However, I also believe that the methods used by Tribal members in the past, were supposed to be used so that some escapement of salmon and steelhead happens.
    I have personally seen gill nets stretched across the river totally blocking any fish from getting through. I have also been witness to tribal members pulling gill nets through the water with motor boats, going up and down the river. I have seen and been offered to buy fish from many Tribal members who sell their catch personally, and then tell me that they fish for the elders. I have seen 15-20 lb steelhead caught in the nets, dead the next day as they pull their nets out. Some Tribal members enjoy the large steelhead, but often discard the small er steelhead. Almost no fish survive the gill net onslaught when caught in the nets overnight.
    There has to be some oversight and regulations that are enforceable, concerning the modern day Tribal member using gill nets.
    I live on the Trinity River and flyfish, catch and release, almost everyday if I can.