Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trinity Gill Nets in the News

Default Trinity Gill Nets in the News

I know there are a few strings about this topic. It appeared on the front page of the Redding Record Searchlight yesterday.

http://www.redding.com/news/2009/nov...h-and-trinity/

Default An article showing both sides

Nice to see an article that presents both sides. If you want to blame a decline in salmon and steelhead blame George Bush. We are still feeling the effects of the George Bush fish kill. If you review the records. The Yurok and Hoopa did not take fish commercially in 2003 and 2004.

http://www.earthjustice.org/.../COMP...-20Factors.pdf

Thanks for posting the link to this article.

I don't understand how blame for such a complex issue could lie with a single person. I don't find this reasonable.

This, to me, is a telling statement however: "That is our river," Fletcher said. "Those are our fish. And we manage those fish in a responsible way."

Their fish? Their river?

I can tell you this first hand: I've been up and down the Trinity River from Willow Creek to Steel Bridge no less than 8 days in the last few weeks. There are few fish in that section of river, unless they are all in the spots I don't fish or stop to view (which would be just my luck!). I don't know how many they expect to enter the river over and above the 28,000 they've already harvested. Seems to me that number may represent a large percentage of this year's total return. Then again, who knows? Maybe a million fish are on their way up river.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Default Imagine this

This, to me, is a telling statement however: "That is our river," Fletcher said. "Those are our fish. And we manage those fish in a responsible way."

Their fish? Their river?

Imagine if some explorers from a foreign country came up the Sac River and decided to make their home on the American River. They kill all your friends and family and decide to use the water to grow rice. They don't care about the fish, as they want to grow cattle. All the steelhead and salmon die and you are allowed to fish on Saturdays for carp. Fly fishing is not allowed, as it is not in their culture.

There are plenty of groups working on the Klamath and Trinity. If you want to make a difference put some time and/or money into the river.

Huh?

I didn't state I wanted to make a difference. I stated placing blame with one person, to me, isn't reasonable; and I have witnessed few fish in the river.

It's not "their" river, regardless of one man's claim it is.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Question huh....???

big bug,.... Ya lost me on that one.... Is your point pro or con

Ron,.... I'm not questioning the validity of your observations while on the river but, as we all know, Native American reservations are sovereign nations. The portion of the river on the Reservation is subject to control by the Hoopa's/Yuroks and Karuks. The rights to the riparian habitat and an allocation of the returning fish was granted in the original Treaty with the feds and has been upheld in US District Court.

In order to harvest their allocation of the fish, the tribes have to exercise some form of management. I can't tell you what that methodology is but.... For all intents and purposes, it is their river and their fish. Maybe it's time to rethink the system that results in current allocations but the Redding Newspaper article doesn't seem to support that point of view.

After reading his article in another thread, I'm not overly interested in Mike Aughney's point of view. He seems to be an alarmist to me (I'm being kind here). The newspaper article from redding is much more informative, objective and better written.
    Last edited by Darian; 11-09-2009 at 10:50 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Their fish their river

It really is up to small groups to pursue their fishing rights. If you just say it is not their fish or their river then, you should be out there fighting for those fish. A great compromise would be have the Yuroks and Hoopa release the steelies from nets. They are mostly interested in the salmon anyways. The fly fishers want the steelies.

How is it not their river? The Native americans were fishing the Klamath Trinity system long before some guy decided it would be fun to catch fish with fur and feathers, bring them to shore and let them go.

If it were not for the new americans you would still be able to walk across the backs of salmon on the Yuba, American, Feather, Sacramento, Klamath and Trinity.

The native americans used fisheries biologists, treaty rights and tons of lawyers just to be able to fish in areas they fished for hundreds of years.

Darian,

I always appreciate the thought you put into your postings and replies and will readily admit I'm not well educated on this issue. You, and most everyone else, will be far more educated on this issue than I. Maybe I'm not understanding completely? I certainly didn't get Bug's point either.

As I understand it, in simplistic terms, there is a portion of land; a segment of river; an allocation of fish; dedicated to tribal interest. When you use words like "portion" and "allocation", these words, by definition, do not mean "whole".

My understanding is the whole river and all fish do not belong to any one entity. I don't think I'm the only one under this impression, but wouldn't want to speak for others. If wrong, I'd be happy to admit ingnorance on this issue.

Default Gill Nets....

OK big bug,.... Now I think I understand where you're coming from.... I don't have a lot of experience with gill nets but assume from the name, that fish caught are engaged in the gills. Doesn't that mean that safe release isn't probable....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Question Whole or Part....

Ron,.... I re-read my post and see that I probably confused everyone. I was referring to rights on the reservation. I need to follow my own advice and make clear explanations....

You are correct. Nobody owns all of the fish or all of the river. The tribes do seem to be able to influence management of the entire river system, tho. For example, they were able to restore relatively stable flows to the Trinity River below the dam thru litigation. A second example is the system of allocations currently in place.

Author unknown