Thread: Delta 10/30

Default Delta 10/30

Finally got a day off Friday and hit the delta with a guy I hooked up with on the Blanton Board.

Absolutely beautiful day on the water. Crisp in the morning (44 degrees at 7:30) and warm in the afternoon (75 and calm around 3:00), no wind to speak of.

For a change of pace, I tied on a white and yellow 2/0 flashtail Whistler and fished that most of the day. I picked up 4--biggest was 21 inches--plus hooked a nice largemouth that tossed the fly with a fabulous partly airborne series of head shakes.

My guest picked up around 15 with the biggest being about 17 inches. The hot fly was a 1/0 gray over white Clouser (Thanks for the suggestion, Robin) I had tied on the 7 weight I brought. His 10-weights were a bit much for the dinks....

On a tip, we started the day in Georgianna slough but found no fish in the end we explored. We found fish in and around Frank's.

Anyone seen any bigger fish yet?

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

It was three years ago I found numbers of quality stripers in Franks, many in the ten pound range caught and some big ones either pulled or broke off. Last couple years its been loaded with undersize fish, if you are using chartreuse and white clousers in no.1, nothing else can get to it before the dinks whack it. Switching to a no.2 in red and yellow gets me a bit better fish, better meaning from 18" to mid 20's in Franks. Until this weather changes I say look deeper, I have marked schools of fish on the San Joaquin holding in 20 to 25' on some drop offs when the current is running. I need a faster sinking line to get that deep in current but think thats what you might have to do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Churchill View Post

Anyone seen any bigger fish yet?

Mike
    We found plenty of dinks but found some onesy, twosies up to 3 lbs most of the day until dark. Paul had green/white on and I had a baitfish/white minnow (I think I lost the little grey one and we have to tie some more up)...

We landed 7 fish up to 6 lbs on top last night (on a grey bubblehead and pink rattletail)... Best top-water night we've had in a while. It was awesome... fished about 3 different boils, and had fish-on within seconds. We had double hook-ups twice, and almost 3 times, but Paul's wouldn't commit. It was absolutely AMAZING! Wish I could say I caught the 6 lb'er, but my biggest all day was 3 lbs. They were feisty though!

P.S. found water temps t be 58-62 degrees...
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."