Thread: AR Stripers

Default AR Stripers

Is it just me or are there more large stripers swimming in the American this year. I can't catch the big ones, but I will keep trying. Saw one today swimming in 8.5 feet of water that my 3 year old with me could have ridden... maybe pushing 40#. Just huge!

Default Same thing here

We have made quite a few floats on the AR now and noticed lots of big lock jawed fish. I have up sized and down sized flies and tackle to no avail. Anyone got any pointers for a steelhead bum who is trying to learn the striper fishing down here.
    TONY MO
    Please protect our wild resources,
    Practice Catch and Release..
    http://anadromousfly.blogspot.com

Matt,
    From one Striper addict to another.
    Walk softly and carry a big stick-Like a GLX 9 wt. loaded with a Rio Outbound Short F/I and put a medium size Air Head painted up like a baby Rainbow trout.
    Keep trying and you will get that 30+lbr.
    Hatch

Lightbulb

Stripers have disturbingly good eyesight , and the American is almost always clear .

I use leaders that start at 9-feet , and will go longer (12-14 feet) if I start getting a lot of follows - casting far is important , more so out of a boat because Stripe can see and hear you from a distance .

If you're wading ...... be quiet . Fish all available water BEFORE you wade in . Dress correctly (no neon shirts , etc.) .

I strip fast . Some days , however ...... a long (3-foot) , SLOW pull w/ a pause will get 'em when nothin' else works .

I use lighter tippets than most (and take crap for it) - 15 Lb. is as heavy as I'll go .... ever . If you can't beat down a good Stripe in short order on 10-12 Lb. , you are doing something VERY wrong .

Tye perfect knots . Stretch your running line , and dress your lines . Hone your hook points . Re-check your knots !! Everything is in the details ..... Dave Howard taught me that , and he was the best !!

Have a plan - know the run you are fishing , know where the snags are .... set the hook and get BELOW your Stripe (downcurrent) - stack the odds in YOUR favor - make Stripe fight you AND the current .

Don't goof around - lose line , or gain line ... DO NOT fight a static fight ! Every second that Striper isn't losing , it is resting . Break the fish ASAP .

BE QUIET , THROW LONG !!

David