Thread: Two more for HTC

Default Two more for HTC

I'm officially two steps closer on my HTC quest. I had the incredible opportunity over the last 6 days to go all the way from the Little Kern to the McCloud and hook up with not only some of the most spectacular scenery in all the country, but two of the fish I've been after.

On the way to the Little Kern river, a look at the great western divide:

I was incredibly impressed, not only with the size of the Little Kern goldens, but the fight. Wow, did I get schooled several times. These guys are amazing:

And, you gotta admire the big dog attitude of this boy. Look at him compared to a #12 rubber legged stimulator. Ha!

A number of fish came from this beautiful run on the Little Kern:

Unfortunately, the handle on my water filtration pump broke off before I could get to the mainstem of the Kern. That meant I had to turn around 4 days early. It was lesson learned about having a water contingency plan. Fortunately, I was only 8 miles in from the trailhead. Had I been at the Kern, 20 miles in, I would have had some serious issues with water supply, because I'm an ultralight backpacker (I tend to carry just the bare essentials). Next time, I'll have my chemical water treatment supply with me. All that to say, I was fortunate to come across a cattle camp on my way in and out, so I could grab the water I needed from here:

My plan had called for a 6-day trip both to the Little Kern and mainstem Kern. When I was forced to turn around I began thinking of how I could still go for some other HTC trout. Then, it hit me--McCloud river. I came back home, used a day to regroup and research, and headed north for the McCloud. I found a great campsite/basecamp and went after the McCloud River redband on Monday evening:

And another redband:

That was the farthest north I had ever been in Cali, so scenes like this were just amazing to me:

Swimming holes like this gotta be fun:

All the redbands are found ABOVE this dam (Lakin dam) on the McCloud. Amazing, when you think how long ago this was built:

And my travels ended with a view of the lower falls of the McCloud. I can see why the native Americans called it "sacred water:"

I just want to extend a great big thank you to so many of you who have helped me in my quest to become a fly fisherman. I started fishing at a very early age, but didn't pick up a fly rod until just over one year ago. Since then, I've had the unbelievable fortune of landing some of the most amazing and beautiful fish I've ever seen, traveled far and wide to drop a line in incredibly scenic waters, tied flies that actually attracted and caught fish, and spent time with people I would call "salt of the earth." I can't wait to see what's ahead.

John

Default Awesome pics!

Those are some beautiful pictures as well as beautiful fish, thanks for sharing!

-Ryder

John,

I am glad you had success in the GTW, it's a bummer you did not get to see the Kern. That is one amazing river and the fish are even better. Those pics of the Mcloud were amazing as well. I am going to have to make a trip up there very soon.

John
    If he had it his way nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching it

Fly fishing is so much fun...........thanks for some interesting photos.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Looks like fun, but one thing. Were you able to build a fire... If so, you could have boiled some water and it would have killed off any bacteria.

Good going John, maybe next year we will have to make a trip there and you can show me around. Plus that means there will be 2 water purifiers so we can go the whole way.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Man that's a lot of driving!!!! Congrats on adding two more to your quiver. Now, get 'er done on the rest!!!!

John that's a fine celebration of what a personal journey is all about. I love the fact that you made the change in plans and drove the extra miles to follow your goal. Excellent work. The pictures certainly show the beauty of California's backcountry and heritage trout. Thanks for sharing the experience. And the adventure continues!
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

John,

Awesome trip and pictures, very envious. Sorry to hear about your water filter problem that shortened your trip. Since you were so kind to provide info on your hammock system, thought I'd share my ultra light water filtration system that includes backup filter with total weight of 6oz. Squeezing the bottle to filter water takes longer than using a pump, but that is not a problem for solo trips.

4oz Bota of boulder large 32oz water bottle with filter
    1oz spare filter
    1oz spare 16oz bottle to hold filtered water ready for fast drinking
    Total = 6oz

Fochetti, yeah I was just miles from the Kern and was bummed about turning around. Still, I may have one more opportunity this year to make it back. Hopefully, in the next few weeks. If so, you bet I'll post a report.

WhipperSnapper, good idea about the boiling. Ironically, I did have a fire permit for Sequoia National Forest (they don't allow them in Inyo), but with my ultra light 2 cup titanium pot it would've taken a while to prepare the water I needed for another 20 mile hike. Believe me, I gave serious thought to drinking the water as is (I've known people to do so), but with all the livestock that's in that area, the risk of giardia was just a little too high

Scott, you're on buddy! I have two trips into unexplored areas already planned. Woo hoo!

Bob, yep, a lot of driving indeed. I figured it was just about 1,000 miles total--enough to get me to my brother's house in Montana. Yikes!

K. thanks so much. I had to do a real mental turn-around when my heart was set on both the Little Kern golden AND the Kern rainbow. Even though I ended up with just the golden from the Little Kern, I still ended up being two steps closer to my HTC. Had I not been forced to turn around, I wouldn't have been able to experience the McCloud.

And Flycanoe, awesome setup. I love it. I've never seen it before. I normally carry my AquaMira chemicals, but this trip I just didn't take 'em along. The other option--and this is a good idea for anybody fishing in remote areas, not just on backpacking trips--is this:

http://aquamira.com/consumer/frontier-pro-filter-system

I've used it on several trips. What's super convenient is that you can attach it to any plastic soda bottle (good recycling practice), and set it up as a gravity filter.

John

BTW, I now have my Lahontan cutt, coastal rainbow, California golden, Little Kern golden, and McCloud River redband. I'm gonna get that Kern rainbow yet!
    Last edited by jburge; 09-17-2009 at 06:02 PM.