Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Just a rant

I completely disagree about the long walk deterring the meat fisherman. I think remote places are where the serious poaching and meat fishing actually occur. I have been way downstream on the E. Carson and seen the meat fishermen down there filling up their packs. Out of sight, out of mind, away from prying eyes, I think they feel they can take more.

Default secret spots

After going back an reading the article in CFF, I went through my stack of fishing books and found two that listed the same spots, with descriptions and locations. So I guess they are not so secret as under publisized. I still have a few spots that I have never taken anyone to, one in particular is so small and brushy that you would not expect to find fish let alone any of quality (16-20"). The really great thing about this small stream is that I don't have to hike two hours as it is about fifty yard from a highway. Someone else posted about getting a map and follow those little blue lines, there is great pleasure in finding these little gems The only other directions I give to this spot is it is south of Redding, north of Bishop and east of Sacramento.....and before my friends PM me, no it is not Red Creek.

James

Over the years many of my best "spots" have become common knowledge.
    But, I'm happy to say, it will not effect my Karma, because I never told a soul.
    Not merely out of common sense, but because if you walk all over to find a spot, it should develop more than just leg muscles. Let the hoard earn it! Or not!
    I think people are ruining things with the Internet spew about their new find.
    As a guide, I'd love to shout about great spots. As a caring steward of the planet, you'll just have to shoot me, because I won't tell.
    Stash your fishing writers ego, button it, and fish!

I think you all can blame the internet for this problem. That being said I never have trouble finding solitude. Boot leather express baby !

I have learned about many great, "uncrowded" fishing spots in the magazine or online. I also wondered, what would possess a guy to write about his secret spot? Like probably most of the other readers, I haven't had the chance to check any of them out. Because with the family and job and little time for exploring, I fall to the security of the same old fishing spots that I and everyone know about. Some of these are spots I was once sworn to secrecy about and they are common knowledge now. Maybe everyone is into those new spots, because a lot of the time the old places aren't really crowded at all. When I was a surfer, guys would defend their spots with slashed tires and other vandalism and worse. I hope it never comes to that.

A cell phone with camera, and the wardens number on speed dial is a good way to discourage folks who don't follow rules, but it smacks of big brother in the back country.
    I've heard a pebble under the stem cap as a warning to poachers works well. One tire the first time, two tires the second time, etc.......
    We've had several incidents where locals called people on the rules and were assaulted, be careful of a strong approach to bait fishers.
    Had a warden once tell me he would trust an armed hunter before he'd trust an unarmed fisherman, and it is legal for fishermen on the water, to carry heat, so... be nice out there.

Where are my old friends? I smell a bad gun on the water debate emerging.

"No, stop that!"

You should have seen the shock on my friends face when we drove passed the burned out Rav 4 a few years back on the Lower Klamath.....it can get pretty bad even in such an uncrowded place. But nothing tops what the retired firefighters did on the Kern to the resident vandal, or at least the myth of it....

I always appreciate the folks that can appreciate you making the trip to wherever you think you should be alone. They might ask a bit about how long you've been coming or how you found, but that is only to get to know you. I can't tell you how many times some "bait fisherman" has told my fifty years of family history regarding the location we were at, and pointed out the right flies and places to catch nice fish.....

So when you get to Krapivnaya, say hello to the locals.
    Last edited by wjorg; 08-27-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Default guerrilla tactics...hey?

BigFly----Knowing that you are the original "BigFly" of California's fly fishing community; I bet you've read the "Monkey Wrench Gang" by Edward Abbey.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Frank, I don't know about the original BF, but the book I have read. My favorite of his is Desert Solitare. All it lacked was a little fishing.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Default Desert Solitaire...A Season in the Wilderness

Big Fly----Sheepishly, I've got the book sitting on a book-shelf; regretably I've never read it. Most especially since it was given to me via a friend I grew-up with in San Francisco's Telegraph Hill/North Beach district. He mailed it to me in 1998 with the inscription:

"I first read this book over 25 years ago while sitting at my campsite along the Virgin River in sourhwest Utah. It has remained one of the most profound pieces of literature I have come across. I hope you enjoy it!

Well, it will now be read.

Frank R. Pisciotta