Thread: They're Scattered Throughout

Default They're Scattered Throughout

With the spring migration gone things usually slow down a bit during summer and a lot of guys just plain quit fishing stripers. There's always a lot of chatter about stripers on the American because that's right in most of your backyards so to speak. But, don't forget about the rest of the river systems in our area.

The past couple of weeks I've been hitting the Sac, the Feather, and the Yuba all with success. No, not every trip out was great. Some days you had to struggle for a couple of dinks, and then on the very next day, at the very same spot, you'd connect with ol' Mo. Some of my buddy's would slam them in the evening and then go back to the same spot in the morning and get skunked. Some of the pipes are dumping water from the rice fields now back into the Sac and this has been creating a natural chum line,,,,,, some of the time.

Over on the Feather and the Yuba the water has been extremely clear. No need for big flashy patterns. I've been scaling down the flash and trying to make my flies look more natural. Squawfish colors,,, gold, yellow, olive seem to be working the best here. Use eyes to add realism.

On the Sac, the water is much murkier than the Feather and chartruese/ white is still the go to color,,,,,,, most of the time. The other night Black was color of choice even in the dirtiest of outpours.

This morning, they seemed to like Yellow. My buddy Bill Siler and I hit the Sac this morning. We had a pretty good morning taking 11 nice fish. I was fortunate to take my second 20+ pounder this morning. Earlier in the week I had another 20# and a 14#.

And tomarrow? Maybe another skunk. But the point I'm trying to make is,,,,,,,,they're out there. And you just have to go find them and offer them up whatever you think best.

Soon the delta will get going and most of us will forget what's right in our own backyard.
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Thanks for the great "other" local report Tony!

In about 16 years I hope to be out there getting after those river stripers on a regular basis like you and your buddies.

Can't think of a better way to spend a summer morning or evening in the Valley..... Matt.

Nice report. Great pics !!!
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.

Team Stinky Duck

Great report Tony

How far up the Sacramento River do you "sometimes" find Stripers in the late summer?

We have them all summer in the Lower American River, as most know, and it has been real good this summer sense the first of August.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default How Far Up for Stripers?

Most of my fishing on the Sac is from Colusa on down. Above Colusa the river really shallows out in spots with hard gravel bottom and lots of snags. I've explored a short ways up but with a prop it's too risky.

As for how far up do they go (or stay?,,,,,, I talk with guys that are getting them all the way to Red Bluff. They move around just like they do on the American and I'm hearing reports of Los Molinos, Woodson Bridge, and Red Bluff all getting fish. Not a lot of talking going on but I'd check with any of the Chico fly shops for more local info up that way.

Down here in my area there seems to be fair numbers of fish and some real good ones too. I've been hitting the Feather and or the Sac almost daily, and the Yuba too but lately the water levels have really been jumping around. When the water changes (either up or down) it seems to put the stripers off the bite for a day or two.

Yesterday, I made it up to the falls at Shanghai and only drug bottom once. Fished Charlie's Airhead early and got busted by a couple of black bass but then dropped down river to some deep water and hooked ol' Mo again with no stopping her. Lots of snags everywhere.
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Thumbs up Sacto River....

Dark side report. Hit the Sacto near Knights Landing on Wednesday. First time out for a while. Gear fishin' and exploring. Water temps were 69 - 70. Strong current (could just touch bottom with 3 oz sinker). No fish marked on the fish finder. Channel water depth ranged from 24' to 14'. Lotsa rip-rap banks and downed trees in the water. This area looks like a great place for a fly. Should be a bunch of Smallies/Stripers against the banks. Can't wait 'til I've got full use of my hand again.

There's a good launch located in town on a slough but I can't figure out why the docking pier is located as it is. It's on the downstream side of the launch ramp. There's a small dam upstream and the outflow creates a fast flow that pushes boats into the pier. Makes it very difficult to stop and tie off without brushing the pier. Pain in the arse!!!
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Knights Landing Dock

Darian,

I kind of like the way the currant pushes the boat against the dock. I throw out my bumpers to cushion the contact with the boat and the boat doesn't drift away when I'm launching or pulling out. Just a matter of getting used to something.

The water down in that area is a bit dirtier than farther up because of the rice fields dumping their water back in to the river. Still nice and green up around Meridian and Tisdale.

Definitely got to work those rip-rap walls. With the deeper water areas the fish hug the sides rather than the middle currant and can both feed and not work so hard to keep swimming.

???? So, What's with the hand? Too much racket ball I bet.
    TONY
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Default Knights Landing...

Hi Tony,.... The water in that area wasn't real clear but definitely fishable with a fly (surface or dark patterns).

The current in the dock area caught me completely by surprise. Didn't have my bumpers out. I know, DUH. Arrrrgggghhh!!!!

Had some minor surgery on my hand. Now in the process of closing the incision. Stitches came out Thursday. Doing some rehab and prevention of infection. Still sensitive. I'm pushing the envelope for activities, already.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown