Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: East Carson

Default East Carson

Looking for some recent info on the East Carson. I'll be up fishing this week from Wed. to Sunday. I'm not looking for anyone's hot spot. Just some recent intel, how the fishing was and fly patterns.

I get little time off work these days, and trying to get some fishing time with my son before he back to school next week. So if i should look else where to get into some fish I will.

Thanks for the help. If you do not want to post to the open forum, you can PM me.

Thanks
    Why is it we have to work so hard all week, to try and fish as much as we can in two days? That's just wrong!!!

I have only been once. I started at Hangmans bridge and went down stream. They say go down t least a mile. I only had success on nymph but I"m new. Also there was a recent thunder shower and the water was dirty.

Thanks Hoser41

Anyone else out there have any words of wisdom?

Foothillflyfisher
    Why is it we have to work so hard all week, to try and fish as much as we can in two days? That's just wrong!!!

Please do not fish in the middle of the day when the water temperature nears 70.

Also, vague is vogue.

Default Early and Late

Hi FoothillFlyFisher,

Besides avoiding higher mortality rates, it's also more productive to fish early and late in the day. I've had great success with streamers and stimulators there. For some reason, the East Carson has always given me big fish. Not a lot of numbers, but good quality. This is the place to hone your streamer fishing. I recommend weighted matukas, with wooly buggers a close 2nd. Fish them on the swing, have an erratic retrieve at the end, and fish the fly to the leader. I have had fish follow and blow up on me less than 5 feet from the rod tip. The challenge is the hook-up. Also, around dusk is when the terrestrials starting acting up. That's the time for stimi's, madam X, or whichever grasshopper/cricket pattern you prefer. With respect to muddy water, just find the seams between the dirty water and the clear water.

Hope this helps.

"Thank You" Albchen

I'll give streamers a try. Don't worry we are planning on only fishing early morning and later in the evening. Letting the fish cool it during the afternoons. Only 3.5 hrs. and we are on our way!

Anyone else have any idea's?

Well, I was there this past sunday, and have been there many times and at different seasons. Yes, morning and evening, but normally, for me - there is not much action with large things like stim/hopper/matuka. I do better with those turkey biot yellow stonefly nymphs in the deeper slots, very small dark dry things in the deep still areas (black ants, black midges), and, during the evening hatches - yellow mays - various patterns, in the pocket water. Bring the hoppers and such - but don't count on them.

I don't bother much with Hangman's anymore, unless its WAY downstream. Tromped to all tarnation for at least the bridge down 2 miles to at least a mile past the airport. And the hike in from the airport is more exercise than most people can take and they get lost trying to get out at night.

I had some decent luck sunday on the ecarson from the turnoff to Wolf Creek and upstream. There's a little creek that is just past the turnoff that has fish too. Go about ~3/4 mile past all the campgrounds and park where the road begins to turn away and uphill of the river. There's also the part where wolf Ck and the silver king come together but that is dirt road and hiking - you can see it on a map. And there are horse trails that go upstream - I'm not familiar with all of them.

If you do the downstream section - I would just backpack the gear and walk for an hour downstream and start fishing.

I'll be up there friday till sunday. Backpacking the river for a few miles and staying 2 nights somewhere along the river. This will be my first trip actually fishing that river, We'll see if it lives up to the hype. Probably going to try and fish from hangmans bridge to the neveda line area.
    Last edited by troutbm; 08-11-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Default East Carson Info

We fished it above the bridge (we were meat fishing) about a week ago and did pretty well. It wasn't as good as we'd been led to believe but well worth the trip, besides we had trout dinner that night. I've heard that the special regs section below the bridge is fishing pretty good but it's important as others have already said, that you fish early and late and not stress the fish in the middle of the day. If you are still on the water at 12 noon. Then stop fishing and wait until after 6PM. If you want to catch planters, call the Carson River Resort and they'l be happy to tell you when the hatchery truck last stopped by. The section above the bridge is the most heaviest planted waterway in the state.

Default E Carson

2 weeks ago on the way back from Ebbets pass to Tahoe, my 10yr old daughter and I fished near the Hwy 4 bridge.

Fished from 4-6pm using all drys, Little Yellow Stones and E/C Caddis with great success. She caught 12-15, I got around 18 fish. All the fish were sized from dinks to 12".. I would guess that 60-70% wild/planters. The wild fish all had par marks with bright colors and full fins.

The planter truck arrived upstream while we were there and we got the chance to revive some much larger fish that probably would not have made it. My daughter was pretty upset that we couldn't save one particularly large hen.

All in all it was a great time. And a great place to get kids stoked on fly fishing. It was very cool to see her hooking, netting and releasing her own fish.

Tight lines

Dick White
    Tahoma CA