Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Float tube fin selection

Mike O Guest

Second on the Scuba Fins (mares plana avanti) and scuba booties. You can find the fins everywhere, including garage sale (I got mine for like 5 bucks) and dive shops regularly have bins of clearance booties (last year's model). I have used Force fins in the surf, and while they do work, I can't get used to their flippy-ness. Plus, they are WAYYYYYYY overpriced for what they are...not to say I wouldn't buy a pair at a garage sale on the cheap.

The Dive fins have the added advantage of being useful when I get abalone on the coast, as well as diving in the streams to see where the fishies hang out. I have probably picked at least $100 worth of spinning hardware out of the South Fork American. One of these days, I am going to dive below some of the "rapids" on the lower American after a holiday weekend...gotta be sunglass/money/etc heaven in there.

Default My findings

the force fins are good for going in one direction and the kick real easily, BUT. They are heavy, cost alot and I mean alot of money. Turning in them is not as easy as I would have hoped, trying to move forward is not possible, maybe a tiny but not really. The weight is the real issue, especially for hiking in.

The main reason I started looking for another type of fin was due to the fact that my swim fins would give me blisters on the top of my toes, I never thought of wearing my wading socks before putting them on. Well I put my wading socks on to see if that would fix the blister issue, and low and behold bingo, no more blisters. So I will stick with my swim fins and use my wading socks, they weight next to nothing and that comes in real handy when you are hiking in with a float tube and really do not want to add any extra weight. I do believe I will be getting a set of Hogden wading boots since they can be used to walk in and my wading socks can't.

Thanks to everyone for all the information and assistance.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>