I was just talking with a friend who had recently, for the first time, floated the lower river, with Charlie Gonzales.

He said that early in the morning floating the river was a shock to him because he never realized how beautiful and peaceful it was out there.

Our river has only two rapids, the San Juan and the Arden (Goethe Park) rapids, other than that it is like a slow moving lake.

People use outboard skiffs (5mph), prams, canoes, kayaks, pontoon boats, rafts and even float tubes to experience the river.

Wading is great too; just be careful to not go too deep in the heavier flows.

5,000cfs is a little spooky/dangerous.

3,000cfs is not too bad.

2,000 cfs is perfect

**Under that (1,000-1,500cfs) is pretty wild because you can really wade all over then.

**Years ago (1960s) I was out on a day they lowered it to 500cfs in the fall to install the fish rack at the hatchery. I was above Watt and it was like a trout stream with caddis hatching wildly and Half-pounders going crazy on them.

Lots of wildlife; deer, coyotes, turkeys, rabbits, squirrels, snakes and tons of bird life.

All summer we have Stripers right now we have Shad too.

We seem to have Half-pounders (smaller Steelhead) in there almost year round now too???

Great caddis hatches in the evening now.

Weekday mornings and evenings are best now with low light and cooler temps.