Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cane Rods

Default Cane Rods

Bruce's thread brought this on. I don't want to hijack his thread so I'll start a different one.

I only have one cane rod, and it's a cheapy, no name. It's been refinished once, and not very well. I traded a cheap Cortland 5wt for it.

Thing is, when I fish it, there's magic in that rod.

That rod slows my whole casting stroke down. Modern graphite impells you to go faster and faster. Hurry, rush, hit and run. When I take out the cane rod everything slows down to where I think it should be.

I love the hell out of my graphite rods, it's just that sometimes slowing way down is just what the doctor ordered.

And a rod that lets you feel the fish all the way down to the cork is really, really cool. There is no finer rod for Brookies in the world than a bamboo stick.

Just my two cents. You guys do what you want to do, but if you haven't tried one, you're missing out.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Default Cheap?!? A bamboo rod is never cheap.....

To Mr. Wahl,

I take offense with your name-calling. You may refer to some of the WWII-era Japanese production rods as "broomsticks", or "tomato sticks", or "wall ornaments", or even "Japanese torture devices", but never "cheap". It is a disgrace to bamboo rods everywhere.

From,
    albchen
    Principal and sole member of People for the Ethical Treatment of Bamboo Fly Rods (PETBAFR).

Default Oh, and by the way.....

Not all bamboo rods are slow. Some are real thundersticks. Talk to Mario Wojnicki who has built 8wt. rods for steelhead and salmon. Some of these ladies like it slow, and some like it fast. But a lady is still a lady.

From,
    albchen,
    Principal and still sole member of PETBAFR

I hate fast action rods ! They serve no purpose for me. Like Ed said, SLOW down, Isn't that the way its supposed to be ?
    Last edited by troutbm; 06-25-2009 at 07:10 AM.

Personally I have never tried bamboo, but if they are so good why don't we see them in the fly shops. Can't be price, some of the graphite stuff is every bit as costly as the bamboo's mentioned and if you like slow action, fiberglass maybe? Isn't fiberglass what replaced bamboo? I find it hard to believe a bamboo rod can deliver the level of performance, strength, and sensitivity the wide choice modern products provide. Nostalgia maybe.

:

Point taken Albchen. Thanks for the schooling.

(although some cane rods will give it up for anyone)

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Default Bamboo Rod Weights

I didn't want to hijack my own thread, so I'm coming onto yours, Ed. I think we have all heard that there is something magical about bamboo. Then we see a $1,400 price tag on a rod and say to ourselves, "Well, maybe someday, when I have a large chunk of change AND can afford a trip to _______ that I've always dreamed of."

At the same time I received the Headwaters brochure, I also was reading "Troutbum" by John Gierach and had just gotten to his chapter on "Cane Rods". It was just too much for me. It's as if the stars had all aligned properly and the heavens had a message just for my ears.

So, here's another question, based on that sloooooowed down casting style and the ability to feel a fish down to your toes.

I use fast rods. Among their properties, they seem to have more backbone and lifting ability than slower rods. My trout home water would be the San Juan River, where the currents are not strong and the fish average 17 inches. On every trip you can count on at least one fish 20"-22". I use a fast 3 wt. or 4 wt. rod on that river.

Would I upgrade to a 4 wt./5 wt. with bamboo? San Juan flies are generally pretty small, and even when not using a bobicator, streamers are usually size 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabalone View Post
    Personally I have never tried bamboo, but if they are so good why don't we see them in the fly shops. Can't be price, some of the graphite stuff is every bit as costly as the bamboo's mentioned and if you like slow action, fiberglass maybe? Isn't fiberglass what replaced bamboo? I find it hard to believe a bamboo rod can deliver the level of performance, strength, and sensitivity the wide choice modern products provide. Nostalgia maybe.
    Maybe it is. Although you'd have to rectify that first sentence before making up your mind.
    As far as price, dude, I don't think you can find a more expensive rod than a high end cane rod. Not even close.

I do like fiberglass rods. They're almost like cane, but not.

The quest has always been for lighter and lighter materials. Cane is heavy, there's no getting around that. Fly fishing means different things to different people. It's not always about the super tight loop and long casts.

There's always that unquantifiable 'magic'.

Bruce, I've got no answers for you there. I've only got the one Chea.... er, inexpensive rod.

Ed

Just playing a little devils advocate. I did search a little for bamboo rods, wow, the high end stuff could cause divorce's. If I were able to afford such luxuries I am guessing the weight factor would rule out bamboo for me, I love how light rods have gotten with new technology and materials. I pick up the old 9' fiberglass 8 wt. I used for years chasing bass and I go nah as I gently put the old boy back in its rack.

Geez dabalone. The saying dont knock it til you try it comes to mind. While yes bamboo rods may be a little on the heavy side, when comparing to modern graphites. But if you balance one out with the correct reel and well matched line and dial in your casting stroke well its hard to explain but it sure feels good. Its all personal preference, I like em all bamboo, graphite, fiberglass. Sometimes its nice to have a choice for differing situations and moods, some days grip it and rip it somedays slow and easy. Kevin