Thread: Flyline Slickness

Default Flyline Slickness

Just read an Orvis test that was done. They did it to promote their wonderline series of lines.

Anyways, orvis claims they have the slickest fly line.

They claim SA has 4% more friction
    Rio has 6% more friction
    airflow has 16% more firction
    and cortland has 17% more friction

What do you guys think? true?
    Capt. Darrin Deel
    www.acflyfishing.com

Red face Skeptical....

I would believe it a little more if it was done by some outsider... the fact that Orvis is doing the test has me skeptical.

When I was a youngster they did this Pepsi challenge down at the local mall. You had to taste both soda's one was ice cold and the other was so hot it almost burnt my tounge. The moral of this story? Beware of companies braggin about thier product...and don't fall for warm soda.

I still like coke better...lol
    "Is this your homework Larry?"

I guess it's all about what you're used to .

I'm a fanatic (pretty sick about it) about clean , dressed flylines - Take 'em in the tub after every trip w/ a bar of Ivory , scrub them , rinse several times , and dress . I use ZIPCAST (great stuff , my current favorite) , GLIDE (works well , but takes too long to set-up) , and Dave's bug float . Slick out-of-the-box doesn't mean much when you make sure to look after line care every trip .

It does suck , having to do that all the time . The end result is more than worth it !

David

All I know is that the Sharkskin line shoots farther than any other of the ones mentioned. Now floats better? Thats a different story...

All this is just great entertainment for me.

Most don't agree on any of any of this, even our staff or top guides, so it is all useless info to me.

One person will say "these lines suck" and another person will say "they rock!!!!".

Way too many variables.

Very little reality to life in general so no surprises here.

All fun though.........it makes the world go round.

I can tell you what is hot. We carry almost every fly line and we have no marching orders here at Kienes so we can tell you what is popular and sells best.

If you don't think that sales info is important then good luck to you in your search for the right answers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Smile

Bill, Thanks for the straight talk.

Your store has a great selection of fly lines, and since you outfit for virtually any gamefish on the fly, I would say your staff probably has some great advice for customers.

I like Rio fly lines, myself.
    "Fishing should be a ceremony that reaffirms our place in the natural world and helps us resist further estrangement from our origins."
    Thomas McGuane

www.reeladventuresguideservice.com

I thoroughly thrash flylines. Sharkskin broke down so fast it took mae another few weeks to realize the cracks in it were absorbing water and causing the line to sink. Others cut a bonded loop without sealing the cut, providing an entry point for water. Like Bill, I agree there are too many variables affecting personal opinion.

How about a Kienes cast off? Go cast all the lines with five good casters, and brand new lines....all the same rod/reel.