Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Little Truckee.... Info Needed....

Default Little Truckee Advice

If nymphing use san juan worms (preferably the gold bead type) as the top fly when nymphing and a mighty may or mighty mite as the lower fly....pulled some nice browns out a week or so ago. Don't be afraid to use weight...get the fly down there!

Default Lil' Truckee Report

Fished the Lil Truckee today. Don't be left out! Get there now, before all the grass is trampled and laid bare by the masses. I couldn't believe the number of fly fishers who arrived after 10am and parked next to the other cars in the near full turn-outs and parking lots. Parties of 4 anglers together to fish a tiny section of this small river? What could they have been thinking? What a zoo. Thankfully, we didn't run into any jerks.

Okay, enough of my ranting about all the out of work people milking the unemployment system and enjoying a lovely Friday fishing with 20 of their closests buds. Now on to the report. A friend caught a 16" rainbow on a micro may, I caught a 3.5 lb, or so, colorful spawner on a #16 red copper john. Saw another big fish rise and spooked one, but that's about it for 5 hours of effort. Lovely weather, slow tough fishing.
    It's a Chromer!

I know the LT is a crowded C&R fish farm. The thing is,....right now,.... with the high flows, tailwaters like the LT are about the only thing going. If you put the 25 people who would have spread out on the truckee today on top of the 25 people who were already fishing the short 2.5 miles of meadow stream on the LT,.......you've got a scene. Being a M-F man, I'm trying to figure where to best get my fish on tomorrow.........

Default fish circus

I'm trying to figure out how to get all those people more interested in shad fishing. Less driving and way more water. The Truckee on Friday was blown out by meltoff and completely unfishable. This no doubt sent its regulars etc... to the LT. It looked like the Nimbus Basin during the salmon spawn. Frustrated fly fishers who didn't arrive early enough decided to park at the end, near the dam and start fishing downstream, which really screwed it up for those of us who thought to arrive early and fish correctly, upstream. Cut our day a couple of hours short for sure. I don't mind too much if someone is fishing ahead of me, I'll slow down and let the water rest a bit, but someone cutting me off by fishing downstream because they didn't get there soon enough is a little chaffing, even on a busy C&R farm.

Steve
    It's a Chromer!