Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A question from "the rest of us"

Ed

you no good pig stealin salmon snaggin redd wad'n gun tot'n crack shoot'n.....

we luv ya man!

Just so no one misses it. Please take a look at my updated post....bottom of page three.
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.

you no good pig stealin salmon snaggin redd wad'n gun tot'n crack shoot'n.....
    I didn't know Ed stole pigs . . . .
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    I didn't know Ed stole pigs . . . .
    You've never been down wind of him then.
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.

Ed,
    Phoenix from the ashes. No apology necessary.

I believe it was a good thing. I've said before that public shame brings faster results than private advice. But those results can always vary. At least for me, your post, and others PM's have helped me see how I, at least, can try to write and even verbally communicate in a way that allows for less negative context or interpretation.

Thank you.

"Public shame" was the MO for an old Northern California oriented internet board that I used to post at frequently. Now, you're lucky if you see 10 posts a week there. It's a crying shame that the most popular NorCal FF board by far has been reduced to a pathetic shell of it's former self. All the "public shame" accomplished on that board chased folks away from posting. And most of the "public shame" posters on that board had bad reputations that I won't dare describe on this board. I'd really hate for this place to suffer the same fate.
    Last edited by Bob Laskodi; 02-25-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Laskodi View Post
    "Public shame" was the MO for an old Northern California oriented internet board that I used to post at frequently. Now, you're lucky if you see 10 posts a week there. It's a crying shame that the most popular NorCal FF board by far has been reduced to a pathetic shell of it's former self. All the "public shame" accomplished on that board chased folks away from posting. And most of the "public shame" posters on that board had bad reputations that I won't dare describe on this board. I'd really hate for this place to suffer the same fate.

....tell that to some of the recently exposed criminal members of congress.

Default Public Shame

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Laskodi View Post
    Bob Laskodi makes a very important point.

Are we willing to let our Forum degrade to a level where it is no longer any fun or of any use, as what happened to the NC FFF forum?

If we want to avoid the same fate I think we are going to have to agree that Public Shaming is an inappropriate and useless activity for this Forum. It rarely, if ever, adds any value and usually just incites a backlash and nasty free for all (as we have experienced in this Forum already).

The tone of our Private Messages should also be common courtesy.

I think it all comes down to; what is it that you want to gain from this Forum, enemies or friends ?
    Brian Endlich

I've gotten so many personal shots taken at me over the past year or so, some of it maybe deserved a lot of it not, so I've pretty much tried to keep a low profile here and stay out of the back and forth because it's not worth it and I don't want to contribute to negativity on the board. It does seem a lot of the darts are being thrown by newcomers. Regardless, being nice is all about personal accountability and asking the question, if you're always arguing, is it worth it?

Ed, there is no question you are a good guy, you started this thread with good intentions and have finished it with good ones as well so don't beat yourself up for it, it's good for all of us to take stock of the situation once in a while.