Thread: Winter Steelhead Gear

Post Winter Steelhead Gear

I'm new to steelhead fishing but would like to get up to the American in January/February and take a crack at catching some big winter steelhead. I'm trying to figure out what gear configuration I need.

I've read a bunch of articles on the internet which are pointing me to an 8wt rod and reel combo with intermediate sinking tip line and taperless leaders (around the 8lb range) for swinging wet flies. Just looking for some advise on this configuration. I've seen some references here on the forum about swinging flies on floating line. Is that the preferred method on the American for winter steelhead or is sinking line the way to go? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

I've seen both systems work on the A. I prefer a floating line, enough split shot to get me down, an egg as a point fly and any number of nymph patterns as a dropper. A 7 1/2 foot or 9 foot tapered leader of 10# - 13# is usually fine to my point fly. Then I tie flouro Seaguar tippet to the dropper.

I agree with the 8 wt. rod. I started out on the A with a 7 wt., but felt a little under-gunned at times.

I might suggest a versitip system from Rio. This will give you a line that can handle sinking tips, they come with a clear intermediate, type 3, type 6, and type 8. This would cover all your fishing needs for swinging flies. It also comes with a floating tip which is junk in my opinion but it can be used. I prefer to have another spool handy with a good steelhead taper line for indicator fishing.

As far as leader goes, with most of these tips just a straight piece of Maxima Ultragreen should do you fine. With sink tips, you don't want a longer leader, just 2-5 feet works depending on which tip you are using. I just use 10 pound maxima, by using a perfection loop and looping that to the end of the tips where I have attached a butt section of 30 pound maxima. This allows you to easily change out leaders when you need to.

The flows are low right now (1,000cfs) so some might use a 6 weight rod too.

I would say that any single handed fly rod that is 9 to 10 feet long is good.

#6, 7 or 8 weight will work.

You could have a weight forward floating line, preferably a steelhead type with a longer belly for mending.

Then you can add these new "Poly Leaders" to any floating line. They are looped leaders that sink at different rates.

Floating, clear slow sinking, type 3, type 6 and type 8.

They come in 5', 10' and 15' lengths.

They have a short piece of clear mono on the end that you attach your tippet to.

A good tippet for winter runs is 2x diameter.

Many flies work.....weighted black or purple or olive or brown leeches and wooly buggers are good.

Size 4, 6 and 8?

The main thing is to go as many times as you can in January and February.

March/April can be good too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info, very helpful. I'm looking forward to getting on the water ASAP.