Thread: Trinity

Default Trinity

How was the last week of October Zoo on the Trinity?

Default explore

Its only a zoo if you fish where everyone else does. The Trinity is over eighty miles long, only the Burnt Ranch Gorge is off limits. Its pretty easy to find some good fishing and solitude if you are willing to explore a little. I live up here and I see lots of fisherman, the boats all lined up in the same float, its ridiculous for guys to fish there. Big deal, go somewhere else, and learn some new water. Boats can't access lots of water that you can on foot, especially with the river being low right now. Personally, i like it when guys all fish the same places, leaves more for me!

You dont have to tell me about exploring. Ive fished the last 8 out of 11 weeks up there. I get around.

Problem is other peoples river etiquette. Very few at least smile and waive before they jump in the hole currently being fished, and some of these are hard to get to spots. They just hop on in the pool, straight on the honey hole. You can see me swinging flies down stream at it.....

They act so surprised when I yell at them. All you have to do is ask and Ill give you my blessing to low hole me. Its not that big of deal. But when you come across like a jerk its a different story.

I haven't been up there yet this year, but if the run is really 20-25% of the past few years the holes will start opening uppretty soon. Most people aren't willing to pay the price for a couple of takedowns/day when the Chronicle writers have been telling them about 20 fish days. Maybe this year will mark the return of a realistic set of expectations up there...

Why does the chronicle consistently do that every year? It doesn't make any sense. Has anyone here even had a 20 takedown day?

I would probably head up from SF also if I am being told I am going to hook up with 20 or so 8 pound steelhead...

Question Fishin' Reports....

Ya know, for every exaggerated fishing report, there's a fisherman, guide or resort, etc., that supplies the info to the reporter....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Exactly Darian, anyone know which guide is connected with the chronicle...

Are the guys from the bay assuming that they can catch fish on the shore just as they would on a boat?

So, it basically comes down to Trinity guides wanting to be fully booked day in and day out during the season?

If you know what you are doing you can catch more fish from the shore than on a boat, the trinity fishes as well from shore as about any steelhead stream I can think of because of the great roadside access (NU a similar deal) that's of course in the fall I'm talking about once the river comes up a boat is a big advantage. As far as the newspapers go, they are doing that to hype up fishing so the guides that gave the writer a free trip last year will give them another free trip next year. Wish it wasn't so, but that's the way it goes.

Gotcha. Thanks.