Thread: Epoxy substiture Tuffleye

Default Epoxy substiture Tuffleye

Bob Popovics is endorsing a new product called Tuffleye, It cures in 20 seconds with a blue light.

Does anyone have any experience with ths stuff?? Do you like it?

Looks like a good idea, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get a smooth application.

Bob Scheidt

We looked at it...I think the light cost quit a bit $$$

I think it would be good for serious tiers like you though.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Tuffleye....

I have no personal experience with Tuffleye but have been told that it's similar to the consistency of UV Knot Sense. The surface of it remains tacky after drying/hardening under the light. In order to remove the tacky surface, the tier I talked to said he wiped the surface with alcohol and then coated it with Sally Hansen's, Hard As Nails. The other drawback is the high cost of the materials and the light.

Not sure there's enough advantage in Tuffleye to make me switch from epoxy or UVKS; both of which can be purchased 10 times before the cost equals out. I haven't heard about how much time is required to dry Tuffleye under the light but it has to be longer than UV Knot Sense and involves more steps to complete.

Bob, remember this is from a non-professional tiers perspective. I know Jay M. uses this stuff. Maybe he'll volunteer some info on it.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I didn't know UV knot sense had an application like epoxy or tuffleye.

Tell me more about UV knot stuff if you don't mind.
    I really want to use it mostly on freshwater flies, so I would gloss up a fairly small area.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Default Knot Sense...

UV Knot Sense is a Loon Outdoors product. Comes in a tube and is applied similar to epoxy but doesn't flow as much. So, it's easy to apply direct, dries clear, doesn't appear to yellow over time and can be cured either by exposure to sunlight or a UV pen light, also produced by Loon Outdoors.
    You can usually get UVKS at any fly shop or thru most catalogues and is better known for coating knots on braided loop or other knots in line to leader connections.

I've found that UVKS cures better under direct sunlight than the UV pen light. Others haven't mentioned that. So, maybe I'm not exposing it enough. Have to admit, I only use UVKS when I just don't feel like mixing up a batch of epoxy.

One more thing, for all of my large and saltwater patterns, I no longer use any epoxy like adhesives without coating them with Sally Hansen's, Hard As Nails. Just makes a better finish for me.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks Darian, UN knot sense might be just the ticket. I am gonna give it a try. I will check out the loon website for more info. I should have picked some up at the Pleasanton show yesterday.

Thanks,
    Bob

According to heir website,Tuffleye will cure in direct sunlight in about 10 minutes. A tube of the stuff costs about nine bucks. It may be worth the effort to try it in sunlight rather than pop for the $89 kit. I'll stick to epoxy. Don't care if it eventually yellows.

Default Tuffleye....

OK Bob,.... Just in time, there's an article in the Spring 2008 issue of Fly Tyer magazine. The article is titled: The Blue Plate Special on page 70. The author of the piece is David Klausmeyer. Hope this helps.

Author unknown

You might want to check on Dan Blanton's board. There are several posts, recent and some not so) about tuffleye. I love it. Its worth the cost and I don't tie with epoxy anymore.