Thread: San Luis Reservoir info?

Default San Luis Reservoir info?

Hey everyone, I am planning to hit San Luis Res/O'neill Forebay sometime between now and next weekend. I'll be taking my kickboat, so it seems like acces won't be a problem. If anyone can help me out with some pointers, I would be very appreciative. I have a small selection of clousers, deceivers, and a few topwater flies, and I'll be using a 7wt... the heaviest flyrod I own. Thanks!

Paul

send me an email. I fill you in on the latest.

Jay

Hey Paul, how did it go out there? I am thinking of going myself.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Well, it was a beautiful day on Basalt Bay, but no fish. Closest I came to a fish was a dead one on the bottom in the shallows. I think to effectively fish that reservoir, i would need to outfit my kickboat with a fishfinder...something that is on my list. I can see it being a productive place, but I think the cold has put them deep for the winter. I could be very wrong, though. Let me know how you do if you go.

On a positive note, I fished one of my favorite local coastal steelhead streams today, and though it is early, saw two very nice adult steelies moving upriver, one of which almost swam into my leg and then swirled on my wooly bugger, missing the fly entirely. Would have worked me over on my 4wt, but it's a small stream. Very encouraging, considering we just got our first dose of real rain.

Regards,
    Paul