View Poll Results: How many trout flies of each size of a pattern do you carry?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

3 15.00%

3 15.00%

5 25.00%

0 0%

5 25.00%

0 0%

1 5.00%
  • As many as you can tie at 2 a.m. the nite before.

3 15.00%

Thread: Poll - How many trout flies?

Default Poll - How many trout flies?

Well, after David Lee mentioned losing 31 flies in one day on the Pit, it got me thinking about how many trout flies to carry in each size for each pattern. I used to think 4, lately I've been thinking 6, but maybe 5 splits the difference nicely. How about you, how many flies in each hook size do you prefer to carry with you to the trout stream?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I use a two fly minimum. If the fly has caught fish for me before and I think that I will be using that fly often during a trip I will bring as many as 6. I always suggested purchasing 2 of the same fly when customer would come in the shop for flies. If that one fly works well and you loose your only pattern your catch rate can significantly drop.

I like to be prepared.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default No.of Flies

I'm like to carry at least 2 of each size within a pattern for Trout fishing but the number increases when Salmon, Steelhead or Striper fishing.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey Mike - great question !!!

I like to have at least 3 Rainbow Trout Clousers , a few Baby Rainbow Trout Surf-Candies , and maybe 2 Rainbow Deceivers in the box at all times .......

Smolts ?? That's another story .....
    David (who actually knew what you were talkin' about about ) Lee

I tend to have 3 of each size/pattern tied up and almost always have a vise and materials in the car.
    Tying makes for a nice midday break when things slow down a bit waiting for that caddis hatch at 4-4:30.
    Heading out to the eastside next weekend. Definitely going to take a bit to adjust back to the 2wt after slinging 300 grain the last few months.
    -Paul

David, what?!? No OBHWBs? Darian will be SO disappointed!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.